Killed our rooster today. First time having to cull. yuck.

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Sorry, I'm using you all for free therapy.
smile.png

Our roo had become incredibly violent and was totally ruining our chicken experience. He was also rough with the hens. After hemming and hawing about what to do (I had a post on here about it) our neighbor, who is an excellent hunter, took him into the woods and shot him in the head. He didn't feel a thing. Neighbor took him home to eat him.

It was the right thing to do and I have no moral qualms. It didn't bother me seeing the dead bird, but we raised Jack from a day old and he was always a favorite until a few months ago when he turned rotten. We've had a bird die from a dog and one die from being egg bound and the flock killed a chick the other day, but this is the first time we had to kill one of our chickens and I know it is just an expected part of chicken raising and for many people it's totally no big deal, but I've never killed anything nor have I ordered the death of anything before and it's just a yucky feeling. Tell me I'm not crazy.

Therapy over. thanks.

Last edited:
Sometime in the future, consider getting an older rooster rather than raising one from a chick. The younger ones only have one thing on mind...mating. I've had to cull a few myself. My current rooster is 1.5 year old and he has been a blessing. He watches constantly for predators, treats his hens real well and has never attacked a person. There's no doubt in my mind that he would sacrifice his life to protect his hens from a predator.

I hate the feeling too...and we butcher! DH sends me to get the "chosen one" ....I feel like the Grim Reaper bringing it to the block
sad.png
Anyway,what I'm telling you is...yes, it sucks! Sorry he turned out to be mean....

Quote:
So you can add an older rooster to a flock of hens? We got all pullets and my son is hoping we got a rooster in the mix. I don't think so though (can't tell for sure yet as our chicks are only 2.5 weeks old). If we do not, I told him we *might* be able to add a rooster but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. But once our chicks are say, 6 mos old, we could add an older rooster?

Quote:
I'm sorry.
sad.png
I don't blame you-I'd feel the same way. When I had chickens before I had a RIR rooster that was really mean. I finally got tired of being attacked constantly and took him to a friend's house where I know they butchered him. I felt bad until I looked at the scratches and scars on my legs and arms (and once on my face. yuck).

I'm considering the same with my roo.... He was also my favorite as a youngster and he's absolutely gorgeous! BUT... He goes after me every freakin' time I go in the yard. I've tried kicking him, whacking him with a broom, holding him down to the ground, carrying him around upside down... Nothing has worked so I think he's on his way to the oven soon. I just hope my boyfriend has it in him to do it cuz I know I won't be able to. Call me a softie but I can't bring myself to take him out despite my seething hatred for him
roll.png

Sorry you had to do the deed... Hopefully you'll find yourself a sweet little roo to take his place!

You did the right thing. In my 6 years of raising chickens, the only bad experiences I've had were ending up with a rooster or two. It's heartbreaking to raise something from a baby, only to have it become a nasty little turd. I don't know why some get so mean and others are perfect gentlemen. I've had both. The mean ones get euthanized and the nice ones go to a friend's ranch. I like my hens to be completely relaxed and not have any roosters around to worry about. One of my best hens acts like a rooster in all the nice ways; she is the first to warn of danger and is top hen in the hierarchy. She chases squirrels and blue jays out of the yard like a mad woman!

So sorry to hear about your experience. My hubby just had to kull one of our own chickens because the flock had pecked a hole in her head and was suffering. She was not doing so good for a little while anyways.... we think the other chickens were bulling her so she could not eat as much, and were being just plain mean. He took her out and gave a blow with the ax....didn't want to make her suffer anymore. Came back in and was very upset....took special time making sure she had food and extra treats before this happened. So, I know this is all a part of raising chickens and keeping your flock happy and healthy, but it's still tough to deal with......even for a big burly city guy who never thought he'd have to raise chickens never mind dispatch them. I hope for better days for you and your flock!
hugs.gif

Yeah, it is crummy to have to do one in. I read before if you have a mean rooster, you need to chase it around and not allow it to breed any hens while you are present. So you are dominant "rooster". I had one kick me in the face , and I kicked him so hard he went about 6 feet and bumped up against the hen house . Funny, after that he gave me a wide berth.Kicking animals is not normally something I do, but it was self preservation and just an instinct, didn't even stop to think. I think if you spoil them when they are little they have no fear and think they can boss you around. I do not keep aggressive roosters, because I don't want to perpetuate their genes. Some of it is nature, some is nurture, but I don't like to worry that some rooster might sneak up on me.

Culling never really gets any easier. The only thing I can say about it is that you get better at it over time, but it is never pleasant.

Sorry your roo turned out nasty.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom