Kitten Care Apron

Sablehaven

Songster
May 22, 2020
I foster a lot of kittens, lets start there. I haven't gone a single year without them in a long time. This was actually supposed to be a project for the near-ish future, but I have recently come into the care of two four week old kittens. A male calico and a black smoke tabby of all things. PS for people who understandably don't know this, but both of those are very rare and they were left in a box outside an inn. Putting aside my murderous rage for the sake of more relevant things:

One of the staples of raising kittens has always been my little kitten carrying satchel, I sewed my very first one when I was around thirteen, and I've made at least five more since because they didn't hold up or got lost. The point was to keep the kitten close and be able to move around without waking them, but the design had many flaws. It bounced the kitten, it hurt my neck, it wasn't big enough, etc.

So I'm upgrading. I did a massive amount of research and was absolutely stunned that I could find nothing that fit what I was pining for. Just an apron designed for carrying some kittens and the typical kitten supplies. I couldn't even find someone in a similar position as me, trying to design one for themselves. It just doesn't exist.

So, I'm designing one from scratch. Of course.

My primary goals are thus:
  1. Soft, fluffy material, I picked something up just for it from a yard sale.
  2. A stable center pocket, no bouncing, that is big enough for three five week old kittens, just to be safe, as well as their towel and stuffed animal.
  3. Additional pockets for a bottle - fitted so it can't tip and spill - and a hand towel because kittens are messy things.
  4. A comfortable design so it doesn't hurt my shoulders or neck with the additional weight.
  5. Light enough that I won't be overheated by it.

Goals laid out as thus, I will be updating this with my progress and of course the final result, and I am welcome (and slightly desperate) for any advice, ideas or resources. For now, back to the google! I have patterns to find and impractical ruffles to pine after!

A small update!

Jg78EjXMHuAsLNHoqgQkmGPVPituAH5GLbLBQrfoooxbUqD0lh0y0_ixZML6o-86Q71bKUgKIT8Zh_ZNQCtpSwXy4WcfBa0ubO3M9JwKGJUZyCEB_dlounIB6e8xNWdVEvP0FHlZeK38hyjjI4IClMySsUogDPKfz74REld5Jb1fteH2DJrQJ891kIOi3_XYobceueOG2JqvhCeb1MCYikPKFdQUUAoYByEswygKTq7YUcB_ykJ0V8Ok7r1KH4eqI8Ye67LFUrNE5tjUXSWYi744Dpajoxm1ZDTWDMlqphc-k5zVXClIgIqIyV0fzi0QsoQnXqK3-YHzbTxOe8oVWJytRj2ORQq7z_de0oPAzkwCDrPYVOMSYTaNE45mRbg_3CggMWYeD_r833Eu0N9_PxKKsMuGxsYmHPhMNIt0BTqHaT6KaTVGJZdPjKiUN5MIkCVSFEOpNsXNi8k374Zjp52ULh737ccDQSjXWaGiQYgQ6i5gzLbevB36ZjUAhHsImWKBBcV6a8PVf_IQQbCGX5ul0DIv1JQsYjwYA_LGSI1VVdOS0AiDx-kY-qViAot5laLKKLVYocXnghVDUKZ9zraQjACFj8ZUYZTvcsHMTzymXb1VdRBw-JbWbtjLzhrBwArRUmUXW9vjy9np8tbn4o8BrCJcumaNY0Ow_RIijtmQOhM1pEUavQ=w359-h625-no

The neckline has been cut and hemmed, I honestly forgot how much I sincerely enjoy felling hems, I cut it the wrong size the first time and in my distracted kitten-care scattered brain, I didn't check before hemming, so I had to cut it and hem the whole thing again. No complaints honestly, the second time went much faster.

Next up is hemming the sides and bottom! I think it will lose it's appeal before I am finished. Then it will be pocket time, I have a beautiful kitten themed fleece blanket that will be sacrificed for pocket lining and bottle insulation.

After that I will need to punch and sew the lace holes and pick out my cording of choice. I may recruit some help and braid them from some of the smaller string or twine I have laying around.

Ah, my old design was essentially a wide bag with a cloth covered card board bottom and a strap to hang it from my neck, nothing special.

I believe I have settled on a design based on norse aprons or overdresses with the sides laced together and extra wide shoulders.

I have been writing this while preparing their morning bottle, so the picture quality may reflect that: in the fact that I have tried five times now and it keeps crashing on me. I'll try for pictures again later :)

Last edited:
This is really interesting! I will be doing fostering in the future, so this could be really handy. When you perfect the design, will you be selling these bags or posting the pattern anywhere so people can make their own?

And also WOW a male calico! :eek:And a black smoke tabby! Please post pics if you can!

I am wondering if you might want to do a backpack design? I think that it would give you more space for kitten and additional pockets, as well as being much less stressful on your neck and shoulders. It would also probably bounce less, and give you more arm movement without a bag in the way.
1603135021265.png

You could probably give it a hard bottom, and put a little window of clear plastic in the front (like I drew on) to let light in. You could use side pockets for bottle and towel, and punch some holes in the top for air. This was using a pic of an existing backpack that could be modified by taking out the wall between the main and front pockets, putting in the window, and adding airholes, but you could also sew one. Just an idea :)

This is really interesting! I will be doing fostering in the future, so this could be really handy. When you perfect the design, will you be selling these bags or posting the pattern anywhere so people can make their own?

And also WOW a male calico! :eek:And a black smoke tabby! Please post pics if you can!
I have no intentions in ever sewing to sell, to start with I'm doing this all by hand 😂 however, I do plan on posting instructions to the best of my ability!

I know, I could hardly believe it! Unfortunately, every time I try to upload pictures the mobile site crashes. I'm uploading them to my computer and I will post them from there.

Back
Top Bottom