Kitten Care Apron

I am wondering if you might want to do a backpack design? I think that it would give you more space for kitten and additional pockets, as well as being much less stressful on your neck and shoulders. It would also probably bounce less, and give you more arm movement without a bag in the way.
View attachment 2379139
You could probably give it a hard bottom, and put a little window of clear plastic in the front (like I drew on) to let light in. You could use side pockets for bottle and towel, and punch some holes in the top for air. This was using a pic of an existing backpack that could be modified by taking out the wall between the main and front pockets, putting in the window, and adding airholes, but you could also sew one. Just an idea :)
A very reasonable suggestion :) Cat backpacks actually exist! Unfortunately, they don't serve the purposes I need. Mess containment for the inevitable milk spills or worse, canned foods spills, and a pocket where they can cuddle on the couch, without being disturbed if I need to check on dinner mostly :)

They are so cute! I can't believe someone would just leave these little guys outside in a box. But it looks like the calico isn't actually a calico... his color looks to be caused by the agouti gene, diluting black to brown, rather than sex linked red, which makes calicos.
I don't actually know much about cat genetics, but we were questioning if he was actually a calico, is there any way I could tell for sure?

I am so honored to meet a person like you who is able to care for an animal risking heart break by finding them a furever home. I love cats. I couldn't do what you do. So I do what I can by donating to animal shelters near me.

I am so honored to meet a person like you who is able to care for an animal risking heart break by finding them a furever home. I love cats. I couldn't do what you do. So I do what I can by donating to animal shelters near me.
This was incredibly sweet, thank you! I can't deny that heartbreak has been a part of it, I cried last time I rehomed a kitten. Little Pele, she was very special but we have four cats already. I can at least say that I haven't lost a kitten in eight years, no matter how sick they've gotten.

Donating to animal shelters can make such a difference! It is something I can't actually do, so I'm glad you have found that alternative to fostering :)

I see what you are working with here! I've rehabilitated many critters, wild and domestic. So I see your pain, in the neck! Lol but since, I've had 2 children of my own. I got a baby carrier, to carry my kid on my back. (I do miles of hiking.) Well I found one I really like, that might be a good start for you. You could get some ideas on straps and such. I carried my kids till they was old enough to follow me, I wanna say my son was 30lbs last time I packed him. I have herniated disc and neck and shoulder problems. If you could take the straps off of it, and build like a mesh carrier on it. You would be set and ready for kitten carrying for days! Mine is similar to the one linked below. But I have put my moms small dog in it, he enjoyed it lol

https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/360-all-positions-baby-carrier-cool-air-mesh-sea-mist

Stitch in something like this!
https://www.chewy.com/jespet-soft-s...OuFUpG9fB8TbAmucqbZQ4Xn5Fdt1PJWBoCpkEQAvD_BwE

I see what you are working with here! I've rehabilitated many critters, wild and domestic. So I see your pain, in the neck! Lol but since, I've had 2 children of my own. I got a baby carrier, to carry my kid on my back. (I do miles of hiking.) Well I found one I really like, that might be a good start for you. You could get some ideas on straps and such. I carried my kids till they was old enough to follow me, I wanna say my son was 30lbs last time I packed him. I have herniated disc and neck and shoulder problems. If you could take the straps off of it, and build like a mesh carrier on it. You would be set and ready for kitten carrying for days! Mine is similar to the one linked below. But I have put my moms small dog in it, he enjoyed it lol

https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/360-all-positions-baby-carrier-cool-air-mesh-sea-mist

Stitch in something like this!
https://www.chewy.com/jespet-soft-s...OuFUpG9fB8TbAmucqbZQ4Xn5Fdt1PJWBoCpkEQAvD_BwE
That is a fascinating idea! It seems too bulky for my casual kitchen use, but certainly an idea worth exploring. No hiking in my future unfortunately :p

No children, but my mother would sympathize! She has some scoliosis from carrying me while camping.

All the hemming is done! Surprisingly, I did not get sick of it and so finished it all in about two and a half hours.

Ladies, gentlemen, gentle beings, if you find reward in small, simple tasks but have found yourself with a dislike of sewing, I beg of you, try felling and running stitches.

I will update tomorrow with pocket progress!

I can really see your vision now. Looking forward to more pictures. That's inspiring my creativity to make an egg collection apron. But I need to crochet a blanket for my grand daughter first.
I use a basket for egg collection so far, but an apron sounds so cute! Especially with a pocket or chatelaine for garden scissors. Half the time I collect eggs, I am also after herbs for dinner. Perhaps a little pocket for chicken treats too... this is getting away from me.

Good luck with the blanket! I crochet too, but I've mostly just done a scarf and several cat toys, a blanket is an incredible accomplishment with crocheting.

Back
Top Bottom