Kitten wont stop peeing on couch!

aPistachio

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Bay Area, California
I have three cats, one five years old, and 2 kittens that are five and a half months old. My two kittens we got a week apart, (they are not brothers, but they act like it!) and my slightly older kitten wont stop peeing on leather, specifically the leather couch in the living room, although he doesn't mind the leather chair, the leather ottoman, or any piece of leather horse equipment left out. He's been doing this since we've gotten him, and it has started to get infuriating! We make sure he has a clean litter pan, and although he does have his food in the same room it is on the other side of the room. Every night, we lock all three cats in their litter room and we let them out in the morning.

I keep a spray bottle near the couch, but it doesn't stop him. I give him treats when he goes in the litter pan, but it doesn't stop him. I grab him when I see him peeing on the couch and put him in the litter room, but I don't know if he understands why. I honestly think he just thinks that leather equals litter, and I know there isn't any medical reason why he is missing the box.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips? It's getting out of control.

All three boy cats are neutered, by the way. We are also fostering a 7-year-old spayed female, but they have very limited contact with her and Domino had been peeing well before we got her.

I have three cats, one five years old, and 2 kittens that are five and a half months old. My two kittens we got a week apart, (they are not brothers, but they act like it!) and my slightly older kitten wont stop peeing on leather, specifically the leather couch in the living room, although he doesn't mind the leather chair, the leather ottoman, or any piece of leather horse equipment left out. He's been doing this since we've gotten him, and it has started to get infuriating! We make sure he has a clean litter pan, and although he does have his food in the same room it is on the other side of the room. Every night, we lock all three cats in their litter room and we let them out in the morning.

I keep a spray bottle near the couch, but it doesn't stop him. I give him treats when he goes in the litter pan, but it doesn't stop him. I grab him when I see him peeing on the couch and put him in the litter room, but I don't know if he understands why. I honestly think he just thinks that leather equals litter, and I know there isn't any medical reason why he is missing the box.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips? It's getting out of control.

All three boy cats are neutered, by the way. We are also fostering a 7-year-old spayed female, but they have very limited contact with her and Domino had been peeing well before we got her.

How many litter pans do you have available for all the cats? If it is only one, you will definitely want to increase that number. All it takes is one of the other cats intimidating him at the litter pan, and he will go somewhere else. Have you changed the litter? Any change in smell or texture can cause a cat to avoid it if he doesn't like it.

You said you don't know if there are any medical reasons he is not using the box. Is that because you haven't taken him to the vet? A urinary tract infection often causes changes in elimination.

You did give two conflicting statements. You said he'd been urinating well before you got the female foster (as in, not using the couch). But you also said he'd been doing it since you got him. Which one is correct?

How many litter pans do you have available for all the cats? If it is only one, you will definitely want to increase that number. All it takes is one of the other cats intimidating him at the litter pan, and he will go somewhere else. Have you changed the litter? Any change in smell or texture can cause a cat to avoid it if he doesn't like it.

You said you don't know if there are any medical reasons he is not using the box. Is that because you haven't taken him to the vet? A urinary tract infection often causes changes in elimination.

You did give two conflicting statements. You said he'd been urinating well before you got the female foster (as in, not using the couch). But you also said he'd been doing it since you got him. Which one is correct?

I'm sorry if my post was confusing. We know he does not have any medical issue that would cause this issue, we have taken him to the vet twice. He has been doing this since we got him, but we got him months before we got the female foster (we've only had her for a couple weeks, we've had him for a couple months). Domino, the kitten who pees on things, has access to three litter pans. (The foster gets her own box since we still keep her separated) When we got Feather, (the foster) we did change the litter in all the pans because she is allergic to the kind we used before, and we realized we liked her litter better anyway. (We switched from sand to clay). He was missing the box before we switched, and is still doing it, so I doubt that has anything to do with his habit.

Basically what I am asking is, is there a way to teach him that leather is not a thing to pee on? I think it's just he thinks leather = litter, and not that there is an underlying issue. If you think there might be, however, I would gladly hear what it might be!

The kitten is peeing on the couch because he has got in the habit of doing so and the smell attracts him. He thinks that's the place. First thing I would do is to get an enzyme cleaner that will destroy the urine, not just mask it. The second thing you need to do is make the sofa unattractive to him. You might try covering it with some plastic drop cloths. Personally I would invest in some scat mats. That might not be the correct spelling but you can find them at an on line pet supply. They are a mat that will give a small electric charge to little feet that touch them. This would be an inconvenience to you but you wouldn't have to use them for very long. They are often used to teach cats to stay off counters and other surfaces.

The kitten is peeing on the couch because he has got in the habit of doing so and the smell attracts him. He thinks that's the place. First thing I would do is to get an enzyme cleaner that will destroy the urine, not just mask it. The second thing you need to do is make the sofa unattractive to him. You might try covering it with some plastic drop cloths. Personally I would invest in some scat mats. That might not be the correct spelling but you can find them at an on line pet supply. They are a mat that will give a small electric charge to little feet that touch them. This would be an inconvenience to you but you wouldn't have to use them for very long. They are often used to teach cats to stay off counters and other surfaces.

Thank you so much! I will try that! You were very helpful

Back
Top Bottom