Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Hoppy is up and down, I was going to put her down today, but couldn’t quite bring myself to do it. Her quality of life just isn’t there, and I can’t make it any better. If she were still able to walk it would be another story, but she hasn’t regained that ability since her last downturn. I’ve been hoping she would pass on her own, peacefully.

The last few days have been spent trying to outwit the chickens for me. I had to increase the slope on Mr Marans nestboxes as I wasn’t getting any eggs, at all. And one of Sammy’s free range girls decided to nest under the barn with some of Hoppy’s eggs from last Fall that were still under there :sick day one I pulled out five old eggs and one new, day two I scooped another three old eggs. Day three she wasn’t budging, the rake of doom was ineffective, but I scooped one more old egg and SEVEN new ones! For a good laugh you can picture me on my belly in the mud and a torrential downpour with my arm fully extended under the barn with a rake fighting a silly chicken for her eggs. She would be a sitting duck under there!

Today, I let everyone out except for the greedy little egg hoarder. And we started stapling up a birdnetting skirt around the barn first thing. I had to pause and let one of the other girls back into the roosting box to lay, then back out again. So far it seems successful. We also herded four lost sheep back in the correct general direction of the herd, as shearing is scheduled for this Wednesday.
As far as Hoppy, it's so hard at times. Thinking of you. :hugs :hugs

The under the barn situation is quite an image. How is it that no wild animal found and ate those eggs long ago?

We have also been busy with SausagemakingView attachment 2170716

Bullet has been oh so helpful with my eggsView attachment 2170717

and one of my younger Black Copper Marans girls laid this monstrosity... I’m fairly sure it’s a double yolker, and that someone has been eating extra shell with all their eggs they have been eating, pre next box slope correction!
View attachment 2170730View attachment 2170731
Thumbnail isn’t dirty, just smashed during fencing repairs...

One other Coming Chicken project to note... I’m going to be treating Mr Marans for bumblefoot or a thorn or thistle he has stuck in his foot. I will try to get pictures, but no promises... as I may be doing it on my own and then will have my hands full of not happy Rooster. I’m sure he will be fine, but it looks swollen and painful, I can do the chicken towel burrito, I’ll have to see if I can manage it on a big grumpy Rooster now. Hopefully I can get a picture of his spurs too!

Speaking of spurs I can’t remember if I mentioned poor Chickie Hawk getting his spurs stuck in my boot recently. But that happened, and I’m not sure who was more surprised, me or him. “I got her see!?! I have attacked the nasty boot of the feed bringer; I’m so brave... ummm, I’ve got her? Help, help! I’ve got her and I can’t let go!!! HELP!” :lol: I’m guessing that would have been just as fun to watch as the trying to get under the barn and scoop out the chicken incident!
I have to laugh at the successful boot attack. When you win the fight and don't know what to do now. :gig

You ever hear the phrase, "you don't want to know how how the sausage is made"? Thanks for ruining that for me! 😉

It's been a bit crazy here. I got married yesterday in my backyard after 14 year's of living together, and then last night started the week long Arizona statewide ordered curfew thing from 8 PM to 5 AM. What's next?
Congratulations (on getting married not on curfew)!!!

It's been a bit crazy here. I got married yesterday in my backyard after 14 year's of living together, and then last night started the week long Arizona statewide ordered curfew thing from 8 PM to 5 AM. What's next?
Wow. Congratulations on the marriage.

Congratulations on your Marriage.

Good morning Kris :frow

Back
Top Bottom