Last Year I Started Beekeeping - So Exciting

Hi,
Well I don't keep bee's but understand that you still want to keep them. I am highly allergic to cats and have been told not to keep any around, do I listen, no, but I do get so sick upon occasion. I am suffering now my eyes were matted shut yesterday and so puffed in the face. You will just have to be extra careful and make sure you wear protective clothing. I'm into this chicken thing and if I started another hobby I think my husband would kill me.
barnie.gif
lol oh well.

Lol. You sound like me! I'm not as bad with cats, but if they rub their scent glands on me, I break out, and if a hair gets in my eye?! OMG, sheer torture! My eyes will get matted shut too. Ironically, there was only a 9 month period in my entire life that I didn't have a cat, because the ex-boyfriend wouldn't let me have her there, so she stayed with my mom. I tried to stay away from shorthair cats, which seem to get the better of me more than long hair cats (I guess because the short hairs more easily get into your eyes), but we got a shorthair kitten about three months ago. I just don't pick her up or pet her when she gets into a shedding phase. Seems to be working so far anyways, lol.

We will never learn, but I do give my cats a bath in the summer, start them early enough they don't mind too much, they just hate the blow dryer, but if it is nice and warm outside you don't have to worry too much about totally drying them usually towel dry is good. I have a handicapped cat Sylvia and she is an indoor cat, the reason I'm puffed is because I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to her curled up on my chest. Oh well such is life.

Someone here found out they were highly allergic to bee stings and got rid of their hives. Cat and dog allergies are usually an inconvenience. Allergy to bee stings is easily life threatening. I'd urge to to decide based on just how allergic you are.

As of the last honey bee sting, it progressed up my leg from the foot. Around about the knee. Not too bad, though I'm fortunate in not liking to wear shoes, so I didn't have to worry about fitting one on that foot until the swelling subsided. The main thing that I'd have to worry about is a progression of sensitivity. Like in the hospital, many people who are in and out of the hospital constantly, or nurses/practitioners, develop a latex allergy after awhile. I've always had a sensitivity to honey bees, but have been stung in the face without having issues with breathing. The more you're stung though, the more you increase the risk of possibly developing the sensitivity into anaphylactic shock. :/ I know some people talk about bees that have never stung them, which sounds like it might be breed/lineage related? I'm thinking that if I got an epi-pen for safety's sake, and stuck with mellow bees, plus suiting up completely, maybe I'd be okay. Then if it progresses, then I can decide on ditching the bees. :/

Yes I have to agree with you, but I have had a nice asthma attack when I get over whelmed with my allergies, and I can have fever,chills and then go to the doc for a much needed steroid shot and get put on pills, usually this sick when the weather changes and during the winter sick off and on until I get used to the heat being on. Never a dull moment.

Bettacreek- I know a guy that became allergic to bee stings after he started beekeeping. He started getting shots from an allergist for it. And he still keeps bees (as well as an epipen close by). He also never works with his bees when he's alone, just in case he should have a severe reaction and need help. I also know some beekeepers who say that over the years they have stopped reacting at all to bee stings. So I think it could go both ways.

I, myself, swell badly when stung around my ankles/feet, but rarely swell much if stung anywhere else. That's probably due to poor circulation and the fact that I'm on my feet all day.

They make bee suits that cover you from head to toe and many beekeepers wear gloves. Certain strains of bees are less defensive than others as well. So it is possible to limit the number of stings you get. However, there is no guarantee that you won't be stung, so you should keep that in mind when making your decision.

As long as you wear your suit while you tend the hives you should be fine just carry an epi pen.

I'm really new to beekeeping, but I agree. (just got them this spring) I've never been stung just wandering around my property. (which is 5 acres) But I have been stung once during messing with a feeder on the hive WITHOUT my protective clothing. (my fault)

If you get a full beesuit and ALWAYS wear it while tending to the hive and carry an epi pen, you should be okay. You have to be comfortable with it though.
The key point to remember is that if you do get stung, smoke where you got stung to mask the pheromone. (or get the heck out of there) When a honey bee stings you, it secretes a pheromone that tells the others in the colony where to attack.

Back
Top Bottom