Lavender Orpington...not an Orpington?

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
Don't have a picture yet, but I'll have one up tomorrow. I ordered a 10 week old lavender Orpington pullet. It's lavender alright, and a pullet for sure, but it doesn't seem...
orpington-ish... She had the soft plumage, but her tail feathers are upright. Her head looks...strange. She's not a mix, but what is she? Could someone list out some breeds that come in lavender? Thanks.

Don't have a picture yet, but I'll have one up tomorrow. I ordered a 10 week old lavender Orpington pullet. It's lavender alright, and a pullet for sure, but it doesn't seem...
orpington-ish... She had the soft plumage, but her tail feathers are upright. Her head looks...strange. She's not a mix, but what is she? Could someone list out some breeds that come in lavender? Thanks.
Hi,

Did you order English or American? I can't wait to see what her head looks 'like'?

I too am very curious. There are lots of breeds that come in lavender. I love the color (sometimes called "self-blue" because unlike blue which breeds black, blue, and splash, lavender breeds true). Most common after orpingtons are probably the ameraucanas and various bantams, but those would be very easy to tell apart from orpingtons at 10 weeks. And as HugHess wondered, American vs English would make a pretty big difference as well.

Can't wait for a photo!

I'm not sure of the origin. I'm just a little confused about her! She has the Orpington plumage under her wings and belly, but she has a very upright tail which orpingtons shouldn't have. Her head and neck are just strange. That's the only way to put it. The feathers on her neck and head are darker and have a weird look and texture. Her face is like looking at an alien chicken, with yellow eyes. The first time I saw her in the box I was like
" :hmm ". I'll get a full body and a head shot up first thing tomorrow. I'm interested in what you all think!

Where did she come from?

I've seen lots of folks post "Opringtons" on this board, especially the trendy colors, that look nothing like the breed standard. Folks want to make a fast buck and simply propagate a color, with no regard to form. They don't build the barn first, just slap some pretty paint on an old shed and call it good.

Where did she come from?

I've seen lots of folks post "Opringtons" on this board, especially the trendy colors, that look nothing like the breed standard. Folks want to make a fast buck and simply propagate a color, with no regard to form. They don't build the barn first, just slap some pretty paint on an old shed and call it good.

Yep

Got some pictures, woot woot!

Posting the body shots in another post

Back
Top Bottom