Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I have fully grown Buff Orpington's and Rhode Island Reds. To add sone color, I got Barred Rocks and Leghorns this spring along with a couple of bantams. The bantams were unsexed so I'm hoping for a bantam rooster. These are still in the brooder and should go out in the pen, fenced off from the other mature birds, in a few weeks. So far, the leghorns appear very inquisitive and not the least be afraid of me. They do appear to be active however.

I have fully grown Buff Orpington's and Rhode Island Reds. To add sone color, I got Barred Rocks and Leghorns this spring along with a couple of bantams. The bantams were unsexed so I'm hoping for a bantam rooster. These are still in the brooder and should go out in the pen, fenced off from the other mature birds, in a few weeks. So far, the leghorns appear very inquisitive and not the least be afraid of me. They do appear to be active however.
Oh what a flock you have! How wonderful!
Yes, Leghorns are active, very alert, and very smart.

Shipping, maybe Monday, baby chicks round 2
Capture2.JPG

So, I am getting the play pen in the chicken run ready so I can take the chicks out in the sun. Husband suggested to use chicken wire around the pen so the couldnt get out.

🤨Well, we wrapped in the wire, took the chicks out for a test run,, ...............
The one year olds were pretty calm about it, curious but ok, Rooster was a tiny bit interested.
BUT! :eek:then the chicks wanted out 🐥of the pen and YES they tried to fit through to bottom rungs of the pen and !!!:barnie! it poked its head through the chicken wire - Ok so outing over.
We will work on it tomorrow,

page 22 shows what i did last year. They were week one week old then IMG_1084.JPG
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorns-have-been-the-easiest-chickens.1254494/page-22

Oh what a flock you have! How wonderful!
Yes, Leghorns are active, very alert, and very smart.
I don't have a lot of hens. I only started two years ago with 3 Buff Orpington's and 3 Rhode Island Reds. An aerial attack took on of the reds and left a wounded Buffy, but she's fully recovered now. I believe that she's a self-appointed rooster, and when injured, the others protected her and wouldn't let me get near her. So now, we're adding 3 Leghorns, 3 Barred Rocks and two bantams, one which is a Silver Wyandotte and the other, a gold Wyandotte. Should be very colorful when they all reach maturity.

I don't have a lot of hens. I only started two years ago with 3 Buff Orpington's and 3 Rhode Island Reds. An aerial attack took on of the reds and left a wounded Buffy, but she's fully recovered now. I believe that she's a self-appointed rooster, and when injured, the others protected her and wouldn't let me get near her. So now, we're adding 3 Leghorns, 3 Barred Rocks and two bantams, one which is a Silver Wyandotte and the other, a gold Wyandotte. Should be very colorful when they all reach maturity.
It will be great to see!

She was not well fed or cared for when she arrived. I would not have picked a leghorn due to serious hawk issues and habitat destruction from rapid growth in area. My property backs up to swamp Forrest and the hawks can spot her a mile away. I had one so bold three weeks ago it came so close to my flock I squirted it with water hose! I have saved 3 big RR in my flock while attacked and not in time for my sweet angel OESD before the hawk ripped her head off 😞. The white is like dinner bells!
More ramble Hahahahaha, I found the pic--- this is Jan. 2019, the last day all 6 of the first flock of Leghorns were together
DSCN2549.JPG

the hawk crawled through the fence by landing on the roost and WALKING right in. that day my husband went out and covered every bit of the fencing with more chicken wire. We had only covered the fencing with it from the ground up 3 feet.

DSCN2550 (2)_LI.jpg

this poor hen was getting a dust bath and never saw the hawk coming.
DSCN2551.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom