lethargic chicken drinking a lot but won’t eat

sehfergy

Songster
Sep 10, 2015
madison, wi
my 1 year old speckled sussex is suddenly lethargic today. i brought her in to look her over-vent looks ok (not sure if she is laying, we have 15 hens), no mites. crop is empty
at 3pm in the afternoon. she will not eat but is drinking a ton, when i pick her up & massage her crop the water comes back out. only a few specks of crumble. no poop since i’ve had her isolated for 2 hours.

is this sour crop? no other chickens are sick.

Attachments

• AF05D5BD-9465-48EC-89FC-A5DDE8E47C25.jpeg
    AF05D5BD-9465-48EC-89FC-A5DDE8E47C25.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 8
  • D2FF508A-E630-4D15-AA7F-8679E4E41C32.jpeg
    D2FF508A-E630-4D15-AA7F-8679E4E41C32.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 8
she will not eat but is drinking a ton, when i pick her up & massage her crop the water comes back out
How is your hen today?

It could be sour crop or she may have a blockage, hard to know.
Does she have any swelling in the abdomen?

If it were me and I was going to massage or manipulate the crop, I would not pick her up to do it, let her stand on her on - you can place her on a table if you wish (that's what I do). It's hard to hold a chicken and treat them LOL

I would go ahead and begin treatment for crop issues- the article below is helpful.
Photos of her poop?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How is your hen today?

It could be sour crop or she may have a blockage, hard to know.
Does she have any swelling in the abdomen?

If it were me and I was going to massage or manipulate the crop, I would not pick her up to do it, let her stand on her on - you can place her on a table if you wish (that's what I do). It's hard to hold a chicken and treat them LOL

I would go ahead and begin treatment for crop issues- the article below is helpful.
Photos of her poop?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

i took her to the vet this am & i made the decision to put her down.

i noticed last evening after posting that her abdomen was distended & hard, either egg bound or something more chronic. i gave her warm bath & hoped she’d look perkier today but she didn’t, just worse. i took her this am b/c she was so sleepy & looking actually like she was uncomfortable & i didn’t want her to suffer.

the vet thought she was too far gone. the sedative alone ended it, they didn’t have time to give her the euthanasia drug. thanks for the feedback, i wish i had noticed sooner but she seemed fine on sunday, this happened so fast. i’m having a necropsy done so i can make sure there isn’t some infection but as of now the other chickens (24 others) are well.

i noticed last evening after posting that her abdomen was distended & hard, either egg bound or something more chronic. i gave her warm bath & hoped she’d look perkier today but she didn’t, just worse. i took her this am b/c she was so sleepy & looking actually like she was uncomfortable & i didn’t want her to suffer.

the vet thought she was too far gone. the sedative alone ended it, they didn’t have time to give her the euthanasia drug. thanks for the feedback, i wish i had noticed sooner but she seemed fine on sunday, this happened so fast. i’m having a necropsy done so i can make sure there isn’t some infection but as of now the other chickens (24 others) are well.
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

It's good that you will be getting a necropsy to find out more. Keep us posted.

Did you get the necropsy report yet to confirm the issue? Im sorry for your loss but in death she could teach us all one last lesson of what to look for and how to treat the next case.
Glad to hear her passing was quiet and gentle.

Did you get the necropsy report yet to confirm the issue? Im sorry for your loss but in death she could teach us all one last lesson of what to look for and how to treat the next case.
Glad to hear her passing was quiet and gentle.
haven’t gotten it yet, next week hopefully. i will update when it comes back. rest of flock still healthy at this point

Back
Top Bottom