live trapping fox?

wahoowifeandmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
Nebraska
We seem to have an abundance of fox in the area. We have tried to trap them, but have managed to catch one of our cats, a woodchuck, a possum, and a coon. Do you have any advice?

It can be done as far as catching them in the hav a heart traps, but it requires lots and I do mean lots of patience and trying different baits and disguising the trap if you can... Good Luck, there is a reason why ppl. say "As sly as a fox"

Cool! I get to learn a new skill! Thanks!
big_smile.png

fox are stupid I only caught 50 + last season google "drift fencing cage trap red fox" the top 2 links will show how to set it up. I use a number 1 size coil spring trap for grey fox and a number 1 1/2 coil spring or double long spring and I normally have the animal the next morning this time of the year they respond well to a combination of a food lure and a gland lure kina sets them up for thinking another animal is stealing their food

Quote:
haha! Yeah, I'm thinking people probably then shoot them, but I'm not sure.

We're wondering what to do with our fox issue here. Thinking a coil spring trap. But the fox, you know, might be a mother with babies, and then those babies are without a mother, the issue gets complicated... I'm sure if he picks off any more of my chickens, it will get uncomplicated real fast.

D'Angelo N Va. :

It can be done as far as catching them in the hav a heart traps, but it requires lots and I do mean lots of patience and trying different baits and disguising the trap if you can... Good Luck, there is a reason why ppl. say "As sly as a fox"

Amen on "lots of patience." I've been trapping since I was 10 years old (that adds up to 60 years on and off
old.gif
). In that time period I've caught many fox in snares and legholds at dirt-hole sets, but I've only ever caught 4 red fox in hav a hart traps. Gray fox-- that's another story. If you are trying a live trap get as large a trap as you can afford and go to a trapping site for advice. Good luck.​

Back
Top Bottom