Loose dark black poo

montverdechick

Songster
13 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Central Florida
One of my 3 week old chicks is having loose dark black poo. I haven't been able to find out which one it is, but all of them are active, eating and drinking. Changed their pine bedding on Tuesday, they are on medicated feed and they have had apple cider vinegar in their water for two days. The poo issue started on Monday. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is it possible you are mistaken, and that this poo is actually the "cecal" poo that chickens pass several times a day? I know my chicks all have a dark runny poo a few times a day, and that is normal. When it dries, it looks black or dark brown.

Now, if just one of your little chicks is doing this all the time and it is sudden, I am totally wrong. But I thought I might mention it.

-MTchick

As said above, try to seperate it and see if ALL the poos are dark black, loose, and sticky. If they are, its indicitive of bleeding out somewhere internally in ANY creature. Especially if they are dehydrated, lethargic, etc. I had a ferret die on me after he exhibited these symptoms. A necropsy confirmed that his spleen had ruptured and he bled to death.

I didn't realize that they had a cycle of fecal consistency. That must be what it is. They are all fine, eating, drinking, playing, etc. Two of them sleep a little more than the others when I am out in the coup with them, but they are comfortable and look great. They must be night owls (I mean chickens).

Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom