Lost hen found

ellieroo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Lost a wellsummer hen a week ago
hit.gif
Today she was found wedged behind a hay bale in the barn!! Why don't they yell for help
D.gif
?? She is very weak but ate and drank well The problem the rest of the flock and her reintoduction
hu.gif
.Will they remember her ?? They are free ranging at the moment so if I put her in the coop will they notice and care
smack.gif
or will they be
love.gif

Hugs and kisses do not exist in the pecking order. I would not introduce her until she regains some of her strength. There may be some scuffling upon her reintroduction and weakness will make her more of a target.

Sometimes when chickens get scared they are like Ostriches and stick there head in a crevice thinking they are safe. Not smart I know but they do that. Even have a young roo do it. Wedged himself between the wall and the nest box. Had a hen do it recently trying to fit herself under the nest box. Thought she was dead.

Gotta watch out for those sorts of things, but we can't find all their hiding places so don't be to hard on her or yourself. Such is life

Rancher

Yes sigh this is not the first one to hide in hay.I try and tell the hay guy no holes BUT at least she was in pretty good shape. I have to rember to check hay instead of walking thru sagebrush calling "here chicken, chicken"
tongue.png
Her roo found her and is guarding her from Everybody... Sir Blackie is my hero
clap.gif
!! Chickens are very tough survivors indeed.Thanks guys!!
thumbsup.gif

I had a a girl found wedged under the edge of a lattice fence, behind a pile of wood. I wondered why a group of chickens kept trying to roost in a planter at night....on the 3rd night of this, I heard some weird noises after I removed them....it was the chicken in the fence. She was in the strangest spot possible......almost completely out of sight. This was in the middle of summer, I think she only survived the heat as she was under some ivy and it had rained one day. I guessed she had been in there 3 days. She made a full recovery.

Wow, I'm so glad you found her and I wish her a speedy recovery! (Your realization about checking the hay vs calling for her in the brush is SO TRUE- the few times I've been missing a girl at bedtime, I have to fight the urge to run to the dark woods and start calling for her, so far they've all been much much closer to home!)

Last edited:
Yea... Whenever I'm missing a chicken at bedtime, I take a quick look around and if I don't find her quickly then I wait until early in the morning to go looking... LOL (The 3 other levels of the barn aren't so scary in the daytime
big_smile.png
)

Usually this happens when I have a broody who doesn't want to brood in the coop
roll.png
. Faithy, for example is the one I'm battling right now... She has gone broody 3 times this past summer and every time she chooses someplace in the barn to hide and in the morning I find her out eating because she didn't have food close by.
roll.png
My Land lord keeps comign to me and telling me that he found 3, 4, or 5 eggs on a matress or in a dresser drawer that is in the barn.... UGH! Stubborn Faithy!! LOL
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom