LUNCHTIME!!!!!!!! pics

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I was out in my back shed cleaning up and moved a scrap 2x4 and look what came out.
resizedcentipede2.jpg

Now my fearless 3 year old daughter who loves helping me wanted to just pick it up and toss it in the coop. I was paranoid picking it up with just a short pair of pliers. This is just a medium sized one around 6" long, I've caught some that push 10+". One at a time isn't bad. I've overturned a log and had 5 or 6 take off in different directions...talk about a madman with a shovel, a couple got away and are out there plotting revenge on me for killing their brothers.
I tossed it in the coop and my 6 girls went absolutely crazy. The chased, fought, flew around and pinned the owner in a corner to steal it. Whoever had it was it and got mobbed. Not surpising my oldest hen got it and swallowed it whole ending the fun. wish I had a picture of that.
resizedcentipede.jpg

Last edited:
Classic 70's Hawaiian song Lahaina. Different island, but same climate, same centipedes....monsters. I am always amazed that the chickens love them and go after them with a vengance and they never seem to get bitten. They chased each other around for 2-3 minutes with that thing alive and wiggling in their beak, eventually got ripped in half and when it was swallowed it was still moving. I wish I could let them out of their coop then I have to clean up or move wood piles. They would be my hired guns and watch my back

I was sitting at a table on an open bay
Waiting for drink of rum
When i asked my waiter for the time of day
She said look out there's a centipede coming your way

[Chorus:]
In lahaina, the sugar kane grow
In lahaina, the living is slow
In lahaina, the mangos are sweet
But the centipede he crawls all over your feet

I was lying by the water in the morning
Sunshaded by a coconut tree
When i turned around it was all i could see
There was great big centipede staring at me

[Chorus]

I had only just a second to decide what to do
While looking at his poisonous fangs
When i said i thought it was a beautiful day
He said "wow mr hall i think your pushing my leg

[Chorus]

same island (as Lahaina), different town ... a bit cooler up here

thing is, we've found that those BIG centipedes' bite are not nearly so painful as the LITTLE centipedes (about an inch to two inches long)

centipedes (and to a certain extent roaches) is why we welcome those wild chickens who've adopted us

everytime I catch a roach at night in the house, I fling it out the next morning to watch the girls cluck ...

I keep longhandled kitchen tongs in every room, to take care of those (expletive deleted) centipedes .. and we keep night light on at night to light the floor where we walk ...

we have millipedes and sowbugs too, the chickens cackle with glee when they unearth those

C

Back
Top Bottom