Male or Female?

sariea

Chirping
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
We got some straight-run chicks about 2 weeks ago and we're trying to figure out if they're male or female. We got 2 lavender orpingtons and 2 blue-laced red wyandottes. We watched the Dirty Jobs episode about chick sexing but I think our chicks were a little too old for the wing test and my husband and I weren't comfortable trying to do the vent test. Are there any other tell-tale signs you know of that could help us figure out what we have?

I'm pretty sure one of the wyandottes is a roo because every time I stick my hand in their little tub, it runs right up to it, standing up straight like it's challenging me, while the others try to hide. Could it just be a super-confident hen, though?

I'll try to get some pictures tonight but they don't stand still

Neither breeds listed are wing sexable anyway, and, yes, beyond the age it would work if they were....it must be bred for by crossing slow and fast feathering parent lines and the reading must be done within 3 days of hatch.
Vent sexing is definitely best left to experts due to risk of injury and the issue of interpreting what us seen (hint, no obvious boy/girl parts, over 20 possible configurations)

So, that leaves good old fashioned characteristics relative to age. I have my babies well sorted by 3-4 weeks (except silkies and some polish, lol, they can be trickier) by sight based on characteristics of comb development/color, plumage pattern, general appearance/build, etc.....its from years of experience helping me go from 6-8 weeks to 3-4.
Pics will be fun to look at, but at this point your babies are still a little young to sex

Back
Top Bottom