Mama's Flying Penguins and Ramblings

Sad day today.... Mustard tore into Sesame bad :( i feel like she didn't want anyone in the coop while she laid so instead of laying she tried killing one of my babies! :rantI've looked up meanness on here and it's surprising how many times "nice, friendly " birds are the most aggressive! Orps being the top ones! The last straw was her turning on me while putting a broom in between her and Sesame. She got my size ten boot up her feathered backside!!! :pop
As a person who grew up hating birds... but starting to love chickens... I don't have time for overly aggressive ones! I'm also thinking of my kiddo who goes in the coop... ok nevermind I can't think of that .... :he

Just very frustrated right now!:caf:smack
8C35CDAF-96C0-49DE-B3AD-3FF8422D540F.jpeg
A7FC29B6-3B88-4715-8041-4ECD31985C0F.jpeg

If there is one thing about chickens that is really hard to watch, it is the pecking order at work and how mean they can be to each other. These cute friendly animals suddenly behaving like teenage girls. They turn on their friends, fight for the best roosting spot, and in general are just plain mean to each other.

I am sure Sesame will be ok.

Sad day today.... Mustard tore into Sesame bad :( i feel like she didn't want anyone in the coop while she laid so instead of laying she tried killing one of my babies! :rantI've looked up meanness on here and it's surprising how many times "nice, friendly " birds are the most aggressive! Orps being the top ones! The last straw was her turning on me while putting a broom in between her and Sesame. She got my size ten boot up her feathered backside!!! :pop
As a person who grew up hating birds... but starting to love chickens... I don't have time for overly aggressive ones! I'm also thinking of my kiddo who goes in the coop... ok nevermind I can't think of that .... :he

Just very frustrated right now!:caf:smack
View attachment 1760175 View attachment 1760176
Aaaww, so sad!! I hate, hate, hate when they are mean for no good reason :rant:mad:... everyday when I take broody Sunny.. BufOrp.. off of the nest... that witch Kathryn.. GLW.. attacks mercilessly!! It’s a knock down drag out between me and her! Guess who wins :cool:

I don’t know if you saw my post on ribh thread but I had integration day yesterday and it went pretty smoothly but I haven’t gone full integration yet.. just in case of your same situation... I’m doing short visits while I can monitor... but once all in I know there could always be a situation :barnie

And @BY Bob ... you are correct!! MEAN GIRLS CLUB!!! :tongue

If there is one thing about chickens that is really hard to watch, it is the pecking order at work and how mean they can be to each other. These cute friendly animals suddenly behaving like teenage girls. They turn on their friends, fight for the best roosting spot, and in general are just plain mean to each other.

I am sure Sesame will be ok.

I checked her this morning and yes she's fine,:ya the teens are rallying around her and keeping her safe. Mustard is in Chickie jail, as i couldn't figure out what to do.

I think one of the issues is that everyone is low on protein, which is weird since i buy the higher protein feed for them. but everyone is plucking feathers and eating them. :( I'm gonna look for some black oil sunflower seeds and see if that helps with some of the pecking. I'm also looking into changing from deep litter method to sand for the flooring. I'm also going to build a permanent chick area so that i can separate and integrate better, I thought I had a good set up but now i don't think so. So... REDO! :lau :rant :oops: Mustard will be let out to free range with Cajun today while i work.

Aaaww, so sad!! I hate, hate, hate when they are mean for no good reason :rant:mad:... everyday when I take broody Sunny.. BufOrp.. off of the nest... that witch Kathryn.. GLW.. attacks mercilessly!! It’s a knock down drag out between me and her! Guess who wins :cool:

I don’t know if you saw my post on ribh thread but I had integration day yesterday and it went pretty smoothly but I haven’t gone full integration yet.. just in case of your same situation... I’m doing short visits while I can monitor... but once all in I know there could always be a situation :barnie

And @BY Bob ... you are correct!! MEAN GIRLS CLUB!!! :tongue

:love:love:love :ya:ya :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
YAY!!!

Yeah I'm realizing i just really didn't have a good set up in the first place. Today and tomorrow i'm going to redo the inside of the coop to allow for better integration. One of them problems is the brooder is awesome, but way to big and too low so it's becoming a problem. going to pretty much split the coop in half and have it so that there is a door for me, and tiny doors for the chicks.

Mustard is in chickie jail for being mean till it's finished so that the babies are safe till i'm done and then everyone can have their space.

I checked her this morning and yes she's fine,:ya the teens are rallying around her and keeping her safe. Mustard is in Chickie jail, as i couldn't figure out what to do.

I think one of the issues is that everyone is low on protein, which is weird since i buy the higher protein feed for them. but everyone is plucking feathers and eating them. :( I'm gonna look for some black oil sunflower seeds and see if that helps with some of the pecking. I'm also looking into changing from deep litter method to sand for the flooring. I'm also going to build a permanent chick area so that i can separate and integrate better, I thought I had a good set up but now i don't think so. So... REDO! :lau :rant :oops: Mustard will be let out to free range with Cajun today while i work.

What kind of space do you have for them? These are also symptoms of over crowding and boredom.

I went back and viewed your photos. It looks like you have plenty of space. Maybe it's not divided effectively?
:confused:

As Promised! Kittens!!!!! :celebrate :love :love
IMG_3483.jpg

Cottonball
IMG_3488.jpg

Snowball
IMG_3491.jpg

Blizzard 2.0
IMG_3492.jpg

"epps-a-puit" (DH is weird LOL) this is the one i'm thinking he wants.
IMG_3496.jpg

Tigey

Also.... The fuzzball Brahmas! They are thriving in the smaller space and with my old blue heat lamp. just upped their waterer size this morning. :D Now to clean up their messes :sick :gig
IMG_3498.jpg

Salt is very protective of his sis Pepper
-he still only has the very tip of his wing feathers, Pep has quite a bit of her wings coming in.

Back
Top Bottom