Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I can't wait to get the ordinance passed so I can get my chickens. I was thinking of getting a Black Copper Marins just because of the color of the eggs! I thought it would be fun to have different colors. Do most of the breeds get along together? I was thinking of 1 black or golden sex link, 1 leghorn, 1 buff orpington, 1 Ameraucana, 1 golden wyandott, and 1 Rhode Island red or white. I'm lobbying to be able to get at least 6 chickens. I don't know which one to double up on. I want really good egg layers, hardy for northern Wisconsin, and docile chickens that we can hold. Just looking for them for pets, eggs, fertilizer producers, and bug eaters!! :)

I can't wait to get the ordinance passed so I can get my chickens. I was thinking of getting a Black Copper Marins just because of the color of the eggs! I thought it would be fun to have different colors. Do most of the breeds get along together? I was thinking of 1 black or golden sex link, 1 leghorn, 1 buff orpington, 1 Ameraucana, 1 golden wyandott, and 1 Rhode Island red or white. I'm lobbying to be able to get at least 6 chickens. I don't know which one to double up on. I want really good egg layers, hardy for northern Wisconsin, and docile chickens that we can hold. Just looking for them for pets, eggs, fertilizer producers, and bug eaters!! :)

I think most breeds can get along just fine together. Especially if raised together. Right now I have a full brooder with 4 marans, 4 easter eggers, 2 silkies, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 Golden comets, 2 old English game bantams, and 1 brahma/Marans cross. I also wanted a bunch of good egg layers and different colors lol. I never planned on different sizes too but I saw silkies for sale and had to get some and each of the kids picked out a bantam lol.

I think most breeds can get along just fine together. Especially if raised together. Right now I have a full brooder with 4 marans, 4 easter eggers, 2 silkies, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 Golden comets, 2 old English game bantams, and 1 brahma/Marans cross. I also wanted a bunch of good egg layers and different colors lol. I never planned on different sizes too but I saw silkies for sale and had to get some and each of the kids picked out a bantam lol.

In your avatar your chicks are already roosting, what age are they?

I normally don't provide them a place to roost until they are 6 weeks old and I am moving them into a coop. Does introducing them early make it seamless when they move into a coop? I just hear so many people with problems that their chicks won't roost.

I normally don't provide them a place to roost until they are 6 weeks old and I am moving them into a coop.  Does introducing them early make it seamless when they move into a coop?  I just hear so many people with problems that their chicks won't roost. 

no idea, they're my first chicks lol. But they're about 2 weeks old in my avatar. They play on it mostly and nap on it during the day. Most of them still pile into a giant cuddle puddle to sleep still but a few are actually roosting. I put it in for them at 1 week old. Now they have 2, one high and one low. They use both but the high one mostly to play on.

I normally don't provide them a place to roost until they are 6 weeks old and I am moving them into a coop. Does introducing them early make it seamless when they move into a coop? I just hear so many people with problems that their chicks won't roost.
My incubator chicks that had perches early seem to roost better. I have some that didn't get perches till a bit later and they don't roost, even though they have one. They are DP birds that I am getting ready to butcher, so it really isn't a big issue at this point. Fortunately the ones who got perches early are better roosters(some even in the rafters of the barn).

All of the broody raised chicks roost, I think because they were taught to roost by their mamas....they would "roost on the ledge in the front of the nesting box where she gathered them, and then with the others beside their mama when they were a bit older. I love broodies because they teach their babies so much.

Last edited:
Looks like her spray painter got clogged.
gig.gif
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have had that happen a time or two and have no idea what causes it.

I am excited! I got to go roo shopping today! They were even mine LOL. No worries introducing new blood. I picked 4 nice roos 1 blue 3 black, 2 are more Mahogany colored and 2 have the halo. I am hoping the halo will continue to produce pullets with nice collars. Well after quarantine we will fine out
celebrate.gif
Glad I kept a few more hens than I expected..... I see 2 pens in my future..... SPLASH ANYONE?????

I am excited! I got to go roo shopping today! They were even mine LOL. No worries introducing new blood. I picked 4 nice roos 1 blue 3 black, 2 are more Mahogany colored and 2 have the halo. I am hoping the halo will continue to produce pullets with nice collars. Well after quarantine we will fine out
celebrate.gif
Glad I kept a few more hens than I expected..... I see 2 pens in my future..... SPLASH ANYONE?????
thumbsup.gif
You got splash?? Or do you want splash??

I am excited!  I got to go roo shopping today!  They were even mine LOL.  No worries introducing new blood.  I picked 4 nice roos 1 blue 3 black, 2 are more Mahogany colored and 2 have the halo.  I am hoping the halo will continue to produce pullets with nice collars.  Well after quarantine we will fine out :celebrate   Glad I kept a few more hens than I expected..... I see 2 pens in my future..... SPLASH ANYONE????? 

Congrats Donna!

Back
Top Bottom