Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Thank you, Debbi. That's what I was assuming. (My BCM boy has feathering like that. Same colour leg feathers too. At 6 weeks, although he is black, his legs appear to be blue.)

Since we are going by the MCCUSA sponsered Black Copper Marans standard the word is lightly. There is nothing about the word SPARSE in the American APA SOP for Marans. Now if someone plans on showing in France by all means go with the French standard. Since we have a Standard for the Black Copper I believe it is time to move on from the French Standard.

Yes, but they use the term "lightly feathered" as being the correct amount of feathering. In this case, I believe these feathers will be sparse in volume, as compared to the MCCU's term of "lightly" purportedly being correct. In other words, this chick won't have enough when grown, so in my mind they are lacking, or sparse.
smile.png

Quote:
Since we are going by the MCCUSA sponsered Black Copper Marans standard the word is lightly. There is nothing about the word SPARSE in the American APA SOP for Marans. Now if someone plans on showing in France by all means go with the French standard. Since we have a Standard for the Black Copper I believe it is time to move on from the French Standard.

Yes, but they use the term "lightly feathered" as being the correct amount of feathering. In this case, I believe these feathers will be sparse in volume, as compared to the MCCU's term of "lightly" purportedly being correct. In other words, this chick won't have enough when grown, so in my mind they are lacking, or sparse.
smile.png

This will end up being a nightmare for most Judge.

Quote:
Thank you, Debbi. That's what I was assuming. (My BCM boy has feathering like that. Same colour leg feathers too. At 6 weeks, although he is black, his legs appear to be blue.)

"Lightly" it is. Thank you for the correction, Don!
big_smile.png
(I'll post pictures of my boy when he is more mature for you to comment on. Just trying to learn at this point. Understanding also what Debbi is trying to say (I think), I AM curious to know if he has enough feathering to make him acceptable. And also trying to follow the gene comments of earlier about leg feathering and how it tends to pass on.)

Now my pullets - they are truly SPARSE! I can count the feathers on their legs!!!!
tongue.png

I think most if not all have it on the shank only. Some of the chicks have it on the shanks most dont and one came out with it on the shanks, and two toes on both feet. I have another question, some have yellowish white legs and light eyes, while two roos have black gray legs and dark eyes. Why is that? any color better than the other? Thanks again.

Quote:
smile.png

Yes, I agree. The standard is lacking in the term "lightly feathered". Lightly, compared to what? Define lightly to me. I would have suggested the term "medium feathered", that more describes what you and I like, Don. "Heavily feathered" would, to me, describe a Cochin or Brahma. The poor judges will lose their minds when they see some of each type coming in. In my very limited experience, those chicks that come out with white or yellow fluff for shank feathering, lose it quickly, and in the end, end up with very little or nothing. The general Marans SOP calls for "Shanks -- medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides." Yet when you go to the standard for the color variety, in this case Black Copper, it reads, "Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong here, just going by what I've seen at my place, but if they don't have enough shank feathering, they have zero toe feathering! Only the ones with the, what I consider proper, shank feathering, DO have the feathers on the toes as well. So, where is Walt when we need him??
lol.png
I pity the judges in this regard. What I consider as "lightly feathered on the outside", looks like a stripe of feathers, very short feathers, that look like a stripe on a man's tuxedo pants. A stripe, and it does not extend to the toes. To me, this is "sparse" feathering. Now if someone has a bird that has the sparse feathering that extends down to the toes, please post a pic, I want to see it!
smile.png

Quote:

Yes, I agree. The standard is lacking in the term "lightly feathered". Lightly, compared to what? Define lightly to me. I would have suggested the term "medium feathered", that more describes what you and I like, Don. "Heavily feathered" would, to me, describe a Cochin or Brahma. The poor judges will lose their minds when they see some of each type coming in. In my very limited experience, those chicks that come out with white or yellow fluff for shank feathering, lose it quickly, and in the end, end up with very little or nothing. The general Marans SOP calls for "Shanks -- medium length, stout, and straight; lightly feathered down the outer sides." Yet when you go to the standard for the color variety, in this case Black Copper, it reads, "Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong here, just going by what I've seen at my place, but if they don't have enough shank feathering, they have zero toe feathering! Only the ones with the, what I consider proper, shank feathering, DO have the feathers on the toes as well. So, where is Walt when we need him??
lol.png
I pity the judges in this regard. What I consider as "lightly feathered on the outside", looks like a stripe of feathers, very short feathers, that look like a stripe on a man's tuxedo pants. A stripe, and it does not extend to the toes. To me, this is "sparse" feathering. Now if someone has a bird that has the sparse feathering that extends down to the toes, please post a pic, I want to see it!
smile.png

Debbi, what we have to work with on the Marans is not stated in the Standard. There is nothing saying the toe has to be feathered to the tip like was supposed to be there. What all this boils down to is we can basically raise what we think should be there and no one will be able to say that it isn't in the standard because there is nothing there.

Quote:
WHAT
hu.gif
What was that Mel ? ? ?
hu.gif

If the first joint hurts does it mean something else ? ?
What if it is the second joint of the second toe ? ?
What does it mean if it faces north instead of south ? ?

Does your toe come with a rubric ? ??

Have you considered seeing a doctor about your toe ailments ? ?
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
My kids tell me all the time, " It ain't funny if we have to explain it", but could you explain why "non-hybrid" corn?
Hybrid corn is no good for the higher proof stuff ? ? ?

Quote:

I actually printed this out. . . . it kinda sounds like that stuff VC was talking about the other day......
A little of this, a little of that, and sooner or later it all might make sense!

Thanks Berkley
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom