Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi! I'm a newcomer to Marans and have some questions if you don't mind.
hu.gif

I have 8 BFCM's that are 3+ weeks old. Out of the 8, I think there are 5 roos. This is judging by comb size. Am I counting the roos before they crow? I sure hope so but the comb size difference between the 5 and the 3 is pretty darn obvious.

The other questions.... I plan to send the roos to freezer camp. I bought them for the eggs, not to hatch more. How old should they be for butchering?

Also, I have them on medicated chick feed and according to the bag, they should be fed this for 10 weeks. I don't think butchering chickens that are on medicated feed would be a particularly good idea, but since I have no experience with this, thought I'd ask!!!

Thank you! I've been enjoying reading this thread and learning more about the Marans.

I guess we had some rather scary happenings here in our community last night. My neighbor came down early this morning, frantically blowing his horn. I was still in my night shirt, so it took me awhile to get to the door. He asked me right off, "are you ok???" Yes, I'm fine, why? Long story short, and I'm not at liberty here to say much, someone tried to do a home invasion on him about midnight!!!
ep.gif
The police haven't caught them yet, but they know who they are, and these are some fairly dangerous ex-cons. Needless to say, I am locked and loaded! Gees, what is wrong with this world any more??? Nice to know my neighbor thought to check on me...

I guess we had some rather scary happenings here in our community last night. My neighbor came down early this morning, frantically blowing his horn. I was still in my night shirt, so it took me awhile to get to the door. He asked me right off, "are you ok???" Yes, I'm fine, why? Long story short, and I'm not at liberty here to say much, someone tried to do a home invasion on him about midnight!!!
ep.gif
The police haven't caught them yet, but they know who they are, and these are some fairly dangerous ex-cons. Needless to say, I am locked and loaded! Gees, what is wrong with this world any more??? Nice to know my neighbor thought to check on me...

ep.gif
wow, glad to hear you and the neighbor are okay, you have to wonder sometimes with everything in the news these days! Stay safe!

Hi! I'm a newcomer to Marans and have some questions if you don't mind.
hu.gif

I have 8 BFCM's that are 3+ weeks old. Out of the 8, I think there are 5 roos. This is judging by comb size. Am I counting the roos before they crow? I sure hope so but the comb size difference between the 5 and the 3 is pretty darn obvious.

The other questions.... I plan to send the roos to freezer camp. I bought them for the eggs, not to hatch more. How old should they be for butchering?

Also, I have them on medicated chick feed and according to the bag, they should be fed this for 10 weeks. I don't think butchering chickens that are on medicated feed would be a particularly good idea, but since I have no experience with this, thought I'd ask!!!

Thank you! I've been enjoying reading this thread and learning more about the Marans.

1st of all Welcome! Lets see if I can give you some answers, usually the boys combs will get bigger and along with the waddles turn red faster than the girls will. Typically by eight weeks you should have a good idea of who is who but some do take longer! We like to atleast grow out the boys to 4-5 months old so that there is more meat on them, before that they seems to be on the small side. As far as the feed depending on the hatch and how the chicks are looking we have feed medicated feed out to 16 weeks old, look on your feed bag to see if there is any recommended withdrawal period, if there is then follow that. Otherwise if you grow them up to 5 months old before sending them to freezer camp and start changing them over to non-medicated feed around 14 weeks old so that by 16 weeks they are totally on non-medicated feed that would probably be okay. Hopefully other will have some ideas for you as well.

ep.gif

yikes Debbi! I'm glad your neighbor watches out for you! Hopefully they will catch them asap! I'm glad you are safe!

ep.gif

Must be something in the air!!! House across the street from my parents burnt down yesterday afternoon and my brother's neighbour had a brand new Dodge truck stolen out of his driveway the night before.
hmm.png

Glad to hear that you are ok, Debbi!!

Cute babies! I see girl, girl, male, male. Love that Splash boy!!

Thanks guys, I'm fine, but good to be aware of the situation! If it can happen in this tiny community, believe me, it can happen anywhere! I don't beleive it was a random thing though, I believe they knew whose house it was and had a bone to pick. This is a community of about 75? people, maybe? Gravel roads around here can take you a long way without ever hitting pavement, and I think the criminal element is thinking they can avoid being caught that way. Me thinks the neighbors on this road need to all get together and form a neighborhood watch, not that we don't already casually, but getting some of those signs put up may help too. I know for sure, anyone venturing down my 100' driveway in the middle of the night, ain't here for a tea party. I'm pretty sure between me and the dog, we can handle ourselves... I hate to think of having to be faced with defending myself with deadly force, but if push comes to shove, it ain't gonna be me in a body bag! God help us all, this world is going to pot at a rapid rate of speed...

Back
Top Bottom