March Hatch-A-Long

Gah! We had a serious power outage last night. And snow. I was worried about the eggs, so I tucked a blanket around the edges to keep in the heat. I somehow managed to fall asleep before the power came back on. I woke up two hours later.... And the eggs were way too hot!! I don't remember the exact temp, but the incubator was displaying the hot warning.

Oh please don't be fried, my pretty eggs! :fl

@Tatuana oh no!! :fl

@Stick Chicken I'm sorry to hear some of your chicks aren't thriving. It does seem like some breeds are not as robust as others. I don't remember if yours were from shipped eggs? That does seem to weaken them sometimes as well.

My chicks are doing fine so far. The turkey is a bit of an outcast, probably because it lacks social skills and does rude things like pecking the others in the face and toes. They look at it like, whoah dude what's wrong with you?

My rumpless chick has a perpetually dirty bottom. Constantly washing it is a little traumatic for the chick and it just gets immediately dirty again so now I only wash it if it seems blocked. Mostly, it just doesn't poop the same as the others. Instead of one well formed dropping, it just kind of oozes out and downward constantly. I'm not super happy about this because it's unhygienic, but the chick is peppy and seems fine. I suspect that receiving eggs from high elevation and hatching them in a lower elevation caused some developmental issues. I have no proof of that, but it's the only explanation I can come up with.

Well It’s been hours an I haven’t seen any sign of the beak and so I was worried the chick moved away from it’s air hole. No sign of more cracking.

So I took off more shell.

I found the chicks beak pushing far away from its original pip ( which is at the top left) . I took off the outer shell and it still was having trouble getting through the membrane so I made a tiny hole were it was pushing. It’s been working on widening the hole and it moving more.

I put more oil on the membrane and put it back in.

57A49503-F06C-4714-B205-2E4078D5C643.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my orp eggs pipped! I hadn't noticed because it was under the egg, and in the middle :( oh well, my 2 day old chick hatched in a similar way so there is hope!

I kind of feel bad sharing my excitement for my five new hatchlings and nine pips today when so many of you are having a rough time of it

Don't feel bad! So long as you show us the cute babies :D

So my egg that has pipped yesterday at five thirty still hasn’t made it out..hole is bigger and I can see it moving and it’s beak is out of shell so can breathe.. but pipped on opposite end of shell..how long before I should try to help? Honestly as of now he’s moving and very slowly making some progress

Happy for y’all with healthy chicks and hugs to those having not so great successes. Of my 12 set, 2 hatched and the chick with splayed legs that showed initial improvement is getting worse... so I went and got myself 4 more chicks! 3 Ice Cream Bar (Isbar x CCL) and 1 Marans x CCL. Thinking they are ready to move out of the bin brooder but I haven’t had time to set up the pen yet.

Attachments

• 5B415454-6DF0-46D2-A521-9E1A5F6D7490.jpeg
    5B415454-6DF0-46D2-A521-9E1A5F6D7490.jpeg
    581.3 KB · Views: 5
Happy for y’all with healthy chicks and hugs to those having not so great successes. Of my 12 set, 2 hatched and the chick with splayed legs that showed initial improvement is getting worse... so I went and got myself 4 more chicks! 3 Ice Cream Bar (Isbar x CCL) and 1 Marans x CCL. Thinking they are ready to move out of the bin brooder but I haven’t had time to set up the pen yet.
Sorry to hear about the chick with splay legs not improving. I had a group of (purchased) barnyard mix eggs that hatched a couple of weeks ago and two late hatchers had leg problems that, sadly, failed to improve over nearly a week...resulting in euthanasia. :(

Nice!! Would love Ice Cream Bars & FBCMxCL olive eggers (I have FBCM roos, so I just need the CLs!). So cute...and their eggs will be so pretty! :love

Back
Top Bottom