May trade for a new horse thoughts please?

@ sweet cheeks

I never heard from her either since I talked to her. She said she would contact me in a day or two. So the loading in my smaller trailer is still an issue for me.

I emailed her again late last tues to ask for info on how he loaded in the smaller trailer and I still have not heard anything.

I will do a vet check and go out pretty unexpected if we proceed one day.

I just called her. She said she hadn't forgotten just extremely busy week. Tomorrow afternoon (4:30 pm) works better for her.

She's going to call back with address for my GPS, as I don't know the area other then getting to the feed stores.

She's borrowing a trailer to bring him, so I'll see if I can walk him out to see how he loads and unloads.

Pats n Chicks - you don't clean sheaths yourself but have the vet come out and do it?

At the co-op barn I first boarded my first horse, half of the horses were geldings and the gals did it themselves a couple times a year. I never watched but heard about it.

How many other folks hire it out or do it themselves (I'm curious to know)?

Some folks are screamish about cleaning sheaths and it is really nothing to it. It is more unconfortable for the male horses to have sheaths cleaned than we are LOL! Unless they are used to it. Best time is when it is a HOT day, a cool bath and he would appreciate a warm clean up in that area. If he gets cranky, leave it alone and have vet do it annually.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Pats n Chicks - you don't clean sheaths yourself but have the vet come out and do it?

Nononono -- actually I'm the author of a short article how to clean your gelding's sheath that was inescapably ubiquitous on the Internet for a considerable while, dunno how much it's still around -- but my point is, it is not remotely a dealbreaker. Yes, there are some small number of horses who are too tweaky about it to do without sedation, but that is such a minor thing and a problem so easily solved (and honestly, most horses do not *need* to have their sheath cleaned real frequently) that it would not be a factor in whether to buy a horse.

Pat​

I agree, totally not a deal breaker. I know how to clean a sheath. My TB never batted an eye at the whole thing. One of my Belgians just didn't like his, ahem, parts handled. I always had the vet do his under mild sedation when he had his vaccines done.

Quote:
Nononono -- actually I'm the author of a short article how to clean your gelding's sheath that was inescapably ubiquitous on the Internet for a considerable while, dunno how much it's still around -- but my point is, it is not remotely a dealbreaker. Yes, there are some small number of horses who are too tweaky about it to do without sedation, but that is such a minor thing and a problem so easily solved (and honestly, most horses do not *need* to have their sheath cleaned real frequently) that it would not be a factor in whether to buy a horse.

Pat

And here we only knew you as the Ventilation and Muddy Run Queen - smiling.

What other talents do you have up your sleeve?

When DH got his horse years ago, he actually sat in on a 4H lesson where the girls learned how to clean sheaths. Most of the middle-school aged girls just giggled and blushed a lot but DH raised his hand and asked lots of questions and even volunteered to help clean the gelding!

pop.gif

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
and one up
yuckyuck.gif

One thing I looked for, for my client, was a horse that is supposed to be good for a beginner and or beginner kids....
I saw the horse ridden, and asked the person riding the horse to two a few things-
Ask the rider to move their legs back
Alot like this
anna006_27-08-08_sm.jpg

But further back, more along the flank/side...
A beginner rider has a tendency to move their legs further back as they ride vs down by the girth.
And have the rider do this
63zxxf.jpg

http://www.amazing-illusion.com/2007_03_01_archive.html
But along the lines of this ( but Higher, like the above pic)

And to yell, wave, and bounce around in the saddle and act like a beginner.
I did this with a gelding that was said to be "Beginner" safe.. NOT SO....in fact he had to "bond" with his rider before he would let you get on him.. how long depended on the person....

I hope this helps
Carol

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing how things go this afternoon! This thread is all the thrill of horse shopping, without the personal and financial risk.

Back
Top Bottom