I'd go with pullet for now. With the cross beak, you may need to trim it on occasions. As she gets older, do regular checks she is able to eat and drink.
Will do. I’ve been researching a lot so hopefully we will be able to help her live semi-normally. Glad you said pullet - in another thread (about just her) 2/3 said cockerel!

UPDATE: “Edith” our Welsummer is looking more like a roo every day. Anyone want to give me any hope that (s)he might be a pullet (or just further confirmation that I am correct) before I find him a new flock?? Sadly we can’t keep roosters in the city :hit

Hope it’s ok that I’m tagging people who responded previously (let me know if not): @Rhodebar Lover @SilverBirds @TheOddOneOut @nuthatched

Pics taken today, flock is about 5 wks old
341D6FDC-93FB-41D0-966C-B9308A8211FB.jpeg

9B8C0D66-4A7F-4CD8-817E-38FB20C211D7.jpeg
58A35A2E-7AF7-45C4-B6EE-042FCEF16C3F.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE: “Edith” our Welsummer is looking more like a roo every day. Anyone want to give me any hope that (s)he might be a pullet (or just further confirmation that I am correct) before I find him a new flock?? Sadly we can’t keep roosters in the city :hit

Hope it’s ok that I’m tagging people who responded previously (let me know if not): @Rhodebar Lover @SilverBirds @TheOddOneOut @nuthatched

Pics taken today, flock is about 5 wks old
View attachment 3120953
View attachment 3120954View attachment 3120955
He's definitely a cockerel :( I'm sorry

I cant help with the sexing but with the cross beak I have a cross beak silkie named Elvis she is the best so friendly and afraid of nothing! You will probably have to keep the beak trimmed we have to do it once every few months. We have a vet here that does it I'm to scared to do it! But they do really well. You have beautiful chicks!

I cant help with the sexing but with the cross beak I have a cross beak silkie named Elvis she is the best so friendly and afraid of nothing! You will probably have to keep the beak trimmed we have to do it once every few months. We have a vet here that does it I'm to scared to do it! But they do really well. You have beautiful chicks!
Thanks for the input! We actually did end up with a roo (“Edith”) and the lady who gave him a home also took our crossbeak as a companion! She lives in the country and has experience working with crossbeak so it was perfect. Glad yours is doing well!

Thanks for the input! We actually did end up with a roo (“Edith”) and the lady who gave him a home also took our crossbeak as a companion! She lives in the country and has experience working with crossbeak so it was perfect. Glad yours is doing well!
That's great!!! We expanded our flock this year and so far have 3 Roo's ! One is a little satin (I think that's what its called) and 2 Jersey Giants, so far they get along fine and I am going to try and keep them, its really hard where I live to re home them right now as everyone is fearful of the bird flu and understandably concerned about bringing in birds from other homes. . So glad you found a great home for your roo and little crossbeak!

Back
Top Bottom