Metal Shed\Coop ordered + Texas

This 5 gallon drinker is in the back left corner. I've been putting a frozen gallon water jug in it about 2 or 3 times a day. The condensation builds up on the side which they like to get. But having cool\cold water to drink seems to be working nicely. Again, great ideas shared on these forums made this possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_170725852.jpg
    IMG_20210616_170725852.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 15
That's what I did, and it works great!
Your setup look nice.
With the open coop, the horizontal rain can get about 4' into the one side of the coop. So fans on the end wall are susceptible to getting wet and that would be a problem. I do not want a gable on the open side neither. The fan is a win but the placement is still uncertain.

Your setup look nice.
With the open coop, the horizontal rain can get about 4' into the one side of the coop. So fans on the end wall are susceptible to getting wet and that would be a problem. I do not want a gable on the open side neither. The fan is a win but the placement is still uncertain.
So far with all this crazy weather we've been having I haven't gotten any rain in my coop. And this heat wave can just kick rocks, lol. You'll figure out what works best for you and your ladies 😉But I think you've got a pretty good set up

I think as long as they can freely roost inside or out in open air while contained in a predator proof enclosure/cage, whatever you build will be fine.
What a great idea! You can use the actual shed part for supplies. I LOVE the idea of an open coop! I love the idea that the Laidies can sleep outside if they so desire and still be safe.

Open coops would probably be fine here in Oregon, too (we don't get the ice storms on the west side near Beaverton, but we do get bit windstorms, usually in the fall)

Update: So we survived July and the hottest I have seen it in the back was 94. They like to lay in front of the fan or stand on the pavers in the water (thanks to someone on this board). I have a mister strapped to a piece of rebar in front of the fan and turn it on when the moisture level isn't high.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_114621734.jpg
    IMG_20210813_114621734.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210813_114634219.jpg
    IMG_20210813_114634219.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 9
Old Coleman cooler setup today for watering. I know the insulation in this is crap compared to what is available these days. This thing was a wedding gift 27 years ago. This should handle a couple frozen water jugs a day and keep it nice and cool.
How did this work out for you?
Did you get those special thread extensions for cooler walls?

Back
Top Bottom