Michigan Chickens: Stories of our Flock

Chickeng1rl567

Songster
May 26, 2020
Michigan
Hello! I have many fun stories of our backyard flock. We have 5 hens and 3 pullets right now. We’ve raised chickens for over 5 years now. Our flock has had many adventures, from notorious escapees to lost chickens, bullies, misplaced eggs and more! Let’s start by introducing 2 members of the flock:
CE26DFB2-A95B-4364-91AE-98B887CE89CC.jpeg
AFCE3BF8-B5CC-4A79-A76F-6EE26D89371C.jpeg

Grandpa Chook, the 5 year old Black Austrolorp hen.
Grandpa is the alpha hen. She is the loudest and chattiest bird of our flock. She has the most beautiful iridescent plumage. She never hesitates to surprise you with how well she can fly to escape dispite her large size.
52B7759B-4FC5-4413-A641-2AF896A2D12E.jpeg
A5C72B0F-FF67-4E58-B65F-FF15A9A0F454.jpeg

Blackbird, the 5 year old Black Sex Link.
Blackbird is high in the pecking order, right under Grandpa. She was always loyally at the side of her best friend Pumpkin, until Pumpkin passed away. Her favorite thing to do is sunbathe and dirtbathe. She also like to fly up on the table while you are eating a snack and try to peck it away from you.

I will feature the rest in later posts!

Hi there, I'm in Michigan too! Perhaps this can be a new thread that really focuses on raising/caring for just the Chickens! I'd like hear stories of how raising your flock in Michigan has gone for you thus far. I have a flock of 8 and about to reduce to 6😩 here is a pic of my everyday sunshine.
20200706_114617.jpg

He's investigating the hardware cloth going up in the run. Unfortunately I recently noticed he has transformed into a cockerel 😭

Sounds like Grandpa still has some adventure left in her! My little Maisel who is Barnevelder, is always doing random things like that. She just goes walking off on her own all the time, like shes too cool to stay with the flock. Doesn't care that everyone is bathing together, she wants to find a better spot all to herself. :cool:
Sorry @BY Bob to know you have to rehome some babes. What is the best way to go about this, what has worked for you rehoming Roosters? That is such a Sydney! Love her expression:love

Huge news... one of my pullets stormy laid her first egg today!!!! Of course, she laid it in a narrow space behind the shed and it had to be retrieved with a net, but we are still proud of her!
View attachment 2245013
There is nothing better than that first egg! Congratulations! 🍾🥂

Huge news... one of my pullets stormy laid her first egg today!!!! Of course, she laid it in a narrow space behind the shed and it had to be retrieved with a net, but we are still proud of her!
View attachment 2245013
Oh my goodness she's so pretty! Congratulations Stormy! How old Is she popping that out?

The woman who generously gave me the fertile eggs for Sydney to hatch has requested any hens in exchange. My little cockerel will be a little more challenging to rehome. I will start asking around when he is a little older. I'll probably post him here and on Craig's list. I will spare nothing to find him a good home so if I have to drive him to another state, I will. It will likely take some effort.
Aww that must've been pretty great to be able to hatch the eggs! Okay, I will put my cockerels in those places too. I'm willing to drive too, I love these guys!

Back
Top Bottom