Michigan Chickens: Stories of our Flock

Thank you, I was excited to get in that one but... it's not very chicken oriented and I don't have luck with responses in there. 🤷‍♀️

Ok I see, just didn't know if you were aware of it...sharing your pictures & stories here is fine!

Ok today’s funny story...
One day, we had been getting a lot of hawks around the house so we put the hens in a temporary run instead of free range. At lunch, we came out to check on them and found we had an escapee! Grandpa Chook was dirt bathing by herself in her favorite spot. Grandpa is the last hen we would expect to be out in the yard because she is our oldest hen at 5 years old and she is the biggest heaviest hen we have. To this day we have no idea how she managed to get out! I will also introduce another chicken in my flock..
View attachment 2244759View attachment 2244763
Mischief, the 3 year old Plymouth Rock
Mischief is quite the personality. She used to instigate all kinds of shenanigans when she was a pullet, and still does today. Her best friend is Wonder Woman and they are always side by side.

Love your flock names :love

Beautiful ladies. I look forward to hearing their stories. I have 2 ladies that are very similar to yours.

Lilly, my alpha hen who is over 6 years old
View attachment 2244808

And Sydney
View attachment 2244814

I also have a flock of 8 destined to go to 6 as I have 2 chicks that Sydney hatched and is raising that cannot stay because of capacity issues. One is also clearly a boy.

Hi Bob, nice pictures (as always)!

Sounds like Grandpa still has some adventure left in her! My little Maisel who is Barnevelder, is always doing random things like that. She just goes walking off on her own all the time, like shes too cool to stay with the flock. Doesn't care that everyone is bathing together, she wants to find a better spot all to herself. :cool:
Sorry @BY Bob to know you have to rehome some babes. What is the best way to go about this, what has worked for you rehoming Roosters? That is such a Sydney! Love her expression:love
The woman who generously gave me the fertile eggs for Sydney to hatch has requested any hens in exchange. My little cockerel will be a little more challenging to rehome. I will start asking around when he is a little older. I'll probably post him here and on Craig's list. I will spare nothing to find him a good home so if I have to drive him to another state, I will. It will likely take some effort.

Hi Bob, nice pictures (as always)!
Hi @N F C Thanks. Digital photography has changed my life. I delete millions of bad shots. But I wind up with shots like this of my little pullet Lucky.
20200711_180902.jpg

Huge news... one of my pullets stormy laid her first egg today!!!! Of course, she laid it in a narrow space behind the shed and it had to be retrieved with a net, but we are still proud of her!
View attachment 2245013
There is nothing better than that first egg! Congratulations! 🍾🥂

Back
Top Bottom