Michigan Chickens: Stories of our Flock

Huge news... one of my pullets stormy laid her first egg today!!!! Of course, she laid it in a narrow space behind the shed and it had to be retrieved with a net, but we are still proud of her!
View attachment 2245013
Oh my goodness she's so pretty! Congratulations Stormy! How old Is she popping that out?

Here's my gal Masiel
20200701_203806.jpg
"Why bathe in that nice sand pile you made us, when I can dig a hole in the grass?"

The woman who generously gave me the fertile eggs for Sydney to hatch has requested any hens in exchange. My little cockerel will be a little more challenging to rehome. I will start asking around when he is a little older. I'll probably post him here and on Craig's list. I will spare nothing to find him a good home so if I have to drive him to another state, I will. It will likely take some effort.
Aww that must've been pretty great to be able to hatch the eggs! Okay, I will put my cockerels in those places too. I'm willing to drive too, I love these guys!

Alright here’s a funny story for today!
This happened with my very first batch of chickens. At this time we let them free range over our whole property instead of just the fenced in backyard. They would travel all around the yard, then cross the driveway to the neighbors yard who loved the chickens too so they didn’t mind. Anyways, one day our garage door was open without the car inside. On top of one of the wood piles, there was a big box filled with little sticks for kindling. In the afternoon, we went outside to check on the chickens to find our RIR pullet Pumpkin sitting in the kindling box. When she got up, there was a little speckled egg she had laid! So Pumpkin laid her first egg in the kindling box in the garage. Later though Grandpa showed her how to use the nesting box and all was good, but we will never forget Pumpkin’s first egg!
Now here is another chicken in my flock...
13B7E272-A827-47B8-B0FA-D43EC8A51E2B.jpeg
9FCF01D2-1242-4696-BE8D-21597B4C3CCD.jpeg
Wonder Woman, a 3 year old Light Brahma
Wonder Woman is a big fluffy bird who is basically 95% feathers and fluff, right down to her feet. She is very shy with people but once you catch her she is very calm. She is very mean to Graycie, who is last in the pecking order.

Alright here’s a funny story for today!
This happened with my very first batch of chickens. At this time we let them free range over our whole property instead of just the fenced in backyard. They would travel all around the yard, then cross the driveway to the neighbors yard who loved the chickens too so they didn’t mind. Anyways, one day our garage door was open without the car inside. On top of one of the wood piles, there was a big box filled with little sticks for kindling. In the afternoon, we went outside to check on the chickens to find our RIR pullet Pumpkin sitting in the kindling box. When she got up, there was a little speckled egg she had laid! So Pumpkin laid her first egg in the kindling box in the garage. Later though Grandpa showed her how to use the nesting box and all was good, but we will never forget Pumpkin’s first egg!
Now here is another chicken in my flock...
View attachment 2246471View attachment 2246472Wonder Woman, a 3 year old Light Brahma
Wonder Woman is a big fluffy bird who is basically 95% feathers and fluff, right down to her feet. She is very shy with people but once you catch her she is very calm. She is very mean to Graycie, who is last in the pecking order.
She is a fluffy lady. Very pretty. :love

Big news! My pullet Pandora laid her first egg today! She laid it in the nesting box, so I’m glad she figured that out. Here’s a pic of her with her first egg!
1F662A95-D3B0-4B64-92DA-F86E2289A019.jpeg

How exciting! Congratulations Pandora... so that's what's in her box 🙃 how old?
I just read the story of Pumpkin laying her first egg, how adorable of her making her own nesting box! Wonder women sounds similar to my white marans, she is so mean to my black Americuana... I sorta think my chickens are featherists! Is that a thing? 🐔

Back
Top Bottom