Missing dog came home...took to the vet, she was a mess

Amanda0609

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Ok my mini schnauzer ran away over a week ago. We looked for her and didn't think we would ever see her again. She took off in the direction of a busy street and we live just a few miles from an area that has packs of feral dogs. So I got a call today that the shelter the next town over picked her up( she has a mircochip, that was how they got ahold of me) and she was probably shot with a bb gun. I can't afford to take her to the vet right now. I will clean the wound best I can, what antibotic can I get without an RX at the feed store that will help? I just dumped out some antibotics my DS was on because he is allergic, he is covered head to toe with a red rash right now. Its just one of those weeks
he.gif
Thanks

Last edited:
Where is her wound?
I would certainly flush with a very dilute Betadine solution to start. Infection is the only thing you can do anything to prevent. My main concern would be the location of the BB, if it's still in her. She would probably be OK if it's lodged in tissue you can keep clean, but if it's near a bone you risk bone infection - or near a joint. W/out an X-ray, you don't know if it's lodged in or near any major internal organs. These problems will cetainly cost way more in vet bills down the road. Can you call your vet and see if they take payments? Ours will take post-dated checks and put them in the bank on the days I tell them will work for me (I've used the same vet for 18 yrs, and we have A LOT of animals!). Good luck.

Well the lady at the shelter said it was a bb, turned out it was a huge bite wound on her back. I took her in to the vet office I used to work for thinking I would need to put her down. The vet told me she would take care of it and not charge me for anything other than meds so I will still have a bill there. I was just looking to avoid that. I have been paying on the stupid thing for a while and hate having the money owed to them. At any rate thanks for your help.

Quote:
Good for you!
smile.png
Me too - the main reason I get the "payment plan" deal is because I worked for her for 3 1/2 yrs - my daughter works for her now! Hope she heals quickly!

Thanks, I think she will be fine. In spite of the wound and not having eaten in a week she was pretty perky. They were going to shave all her hair off, she had ticks and weeds stuck to her hair so it was all matted. When I get her home I will have to work on getting some weight back on her. She has always been a very skinny dog but she way to skinny right now. My 4 year old is so happy she is home. He was so upset when she ran away. They are good buddies. I will keep you updated!

I will get some pictures up tomorrow when she gets home. I doubt she will be very cute. Schnauzers don't look very good without hair
tongue.png
I really feel like it was fate that she came back to us. She was found miles away from our house. I really didn't think we would ever find out what happened to her.

Quote:
It's sad we'll never know exactly what bee got in her bonnet that she even had to run so far away. I can't even imagine mine attempting such a fate. Even on a whim. But it's good to hear she's gotten back home even if she was bitten by heavens know what. Will be looking forward to bald doggie pics either way :>

Back
Top Bottom