Mt. Hope Swap Meet In Ohio July 16 GRRRR.. Some People are just RUDE!

Today was waaaaaaaaaay better than yesterday! It was pretty slow until about 10:30 am, but then the people just suddenly showed up! I sold all of my large fowl that I had taken, save for one Black Langshan hen. NO one wanted Langshans!

Sold some chicks, and several bantams, and a couple bunnies.

I thought it was a good day.

Also made a few new friends, and a few new customer connections!

And I brought home two pairs of Coronation Split Sussex!!!
ya.gif

Last edited:
My overall take on this July show was that it was quite slow. There were other things going on this weekend around the area to compete and most 4-Hers already have their stuff. Heat didn't help. By Saturday evening I had a migraine from it.
sickbyc.gif

The May show seemed insanely busy, and I did very well. I did sell a few things this time, but the profits weren't great.

My best deal was to find a nice red NZ doe for my buck at home. I admired Giant Flemish bunnies from the same guy but missed a pair. The buck was still left, though. Late in the day the boy and his granddad came by my booth and asked me to trade 2 Barnvelder pullets for the buck.
big_smile.png
The buck went home with me. And to think, those were the same pullets an Asian lady came and asked multiple times for me to take $4 each on.
th.gif

I still have things left and too many pens to tend.

Anyone looking for Chukars (Partridge)? I have 2 hatchlings that I never did bother to take to Mount Hope, but no one asked me about them on my sign either. Sold 2 ducklings, so now I have just one F&W runner duckling and one Embden gosling (female) to deal with. I can always grow them up and incorporate them into my flock, but I really don't need them.

Overall, it was an enjoyable time--even getting up at 3 am Saturday. I always like to talk poultry with other enthusiasts.
big_smile.png
Nice to meet you and your family, 6littlechickies. Enjoy that bunny!
bun.gif

Yes, wasn't insanely busy and was quite warm but we did have a great time though and it was So nice to meet both Becca and Quail!
smile.png
Becca, the kids are LOVING the bunny and fight over who gets to hold, feed and take care of him! LOL he does still need a name though.
idunno.gif

Saturday night, our youngest (Andy, the 2.5 YO) stopped breathing for a few minutes, we called 911, he went to the local ER then on to the pediatric hospital (Rainbow). They did finally release him Monday night and have yet to find any cause for it. They have cleared him neurologically and cardio has ruled out any chemical or structural issues and found no apenia. They still want to do a stress test to check for arithmia but felt confident he is fine. WITHOUT A DOUBT, SCARIEST DAYS OF MY LIFE. i thought i was going to lose my baby.
hit.gif

And then as if that wasn't enough, while my 4YO was staying with my dad over this time, he was stung by a bee and developed a reaction so HE had to go to the ER too! thankfully, it was just a rash and cleared up with some oral meds. seriously, i can't take much more of this! Ready for July to be OVER already! In addition to this, our dog of 13 years was hit and killed by a car last Satuday (10th) and the beginning of this month we were dealing with a crazy BIL threatening to call the police and charge us w/kidnapping b/c his daughters were visiting us and he did not like it. The BIL and SIL are on the brink of divorce and he loves to make idle treats. too bad for him the police already knew the situation AND he was convicted of domestic abuse last year so he didn't have much ground to stand on there.

ANYWAY, the swap...yeah fun time! we ended up selling both our male RGP (should have brought more!), some D'uccle's, the incubators and turner I brought. Also have someone interested in the three BS peachicks and adult pair of IB split white. so, overall, we were pretty happy. it was a last minute decision for us and being it wasn't too busy was a nice way to get our feet wet at swaps. Now, we are excited and can't wait for the next.

Becca and Quail, one of you mentioned Rogers? can you send me some info on that? might want to take at least the last of the d'uccle's there b/c they really need to go.

That was me!! Give me a few minutes, I'll pm you the info!

We're going to Roger's Friday to sell the last of the stuff that didn't go at Mt. Hope. The only problem with that is, we put an ad up on CL, and I have a lady coming in a few minutes to buy ALL of my lop bunnies that I have left....lol Another lady has called about my Black Copper chicks...so not sure I have anything left of MINE to take LOLOL

6littlechickies, I'm sorry to hear about your little guy. I'm surprised he ever slows down enough to even sleep.
big_smile.png
I hope you find out what caused this.

Rogers Flea Market and Auction are on Fridays in Rogers, Ohio, south of Youngstown. http://www.rogersohio.com/upcoming/friday-auctions-in-ohio/
20% commission on poultry. Poultry sale begins at 6 pm, and you can check in anytime before then starting at 7:30 am.

Do you HAVE to sell your chickens through the poultry auction or can you just set up a stand? I've been to Rogers many times (never to sell anything) and there is TONS of stuff. Things for everybody!!! Most of the people have reasonable prices. I haven't been there in years! I just may have to go this Friday!

Quote:
I don't know if you can set up a flea market stand to sell them or not. I know back at Easter time, people were setting up a spot at the flea market and selling their Easter rabbits - at $30 a pop!!

Quote:
You can get a spot there if you want. Just get a hold of the main office and they will be able to tell you the price.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom