Muscovy ducks, bald spot

anajl

Hatching
Mar 17, 2021
Hello !
Two of my female Muscovy 1yo ducks have bald spots. They have one under each wing, and smaller ones on the wings. Besides that, no behaviour change. Are they molting ?

Thank you for your time,
Anaïs

Attachments

• IMG_4733.jpeg
    IMG_4733.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4748.jpeg
    IMG_4748.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 18
Hello !
Two of my female Muscovy 1yo ducks have bald spots. They have one under each wing, and smaller ones on the wings. Besides that, no behaviour change. Are they molting ?

Thank you for your time,
Anaïs
Looks like some kind of sore, maybe?
Is there anything in their pen that they could get scraped on?

Looks like some kind of sore, maybe?
Is there anything in their pen that they could get scraped on?
Not that I know of, but for Winter, I put them together with my chickens. I've never seen them fight, and I don't think if they did, it would cause such big injuries ?
The feathers are missing, as if they got plucked ! The ducks like to "clean" those area with their beak. What do you think ?

The spare feather development seen under the wings in the very latter picture can be considered normal for most birds. The second picture, I would not consider abnormal, the birds appear to be in a wet state when the picture was taken which would add to the "sparse" look. The first picture could be the result of feather picking (either self-inflicted/ by flockmates), or could be due to rubbing on an object such as fencing.

Not that I know of, but for Winter, I put them together with my chickens. I've never seen them fight, and I don't think if they did, it would cause such big injuries ?
The feathers are missing, as if they got plucked ! The ducks like to "clean" those area with their beak. What do you think ?
Follow @Isaac 0 's advice, he knows way more than me on this subject.
The spare feather development seen under the wings in the very latter picture can be considered normal for most birds. The second picture, I would not consider abnormal, the birds appear to be in a wet state when the picture was taken which would add to the "sparse" look. The first picture could be the result of feather picking (either self-inflicted/ by flockmates), or could be due to rubbing on an object such as fencing.
:goodpost:

The spare feather development seen under the wings in the very latter picture can be considered normal for most birds. The second picture, I would not consider abnormal, the birds appear to be in a wet state when the picture was taken which would add to the "sparse". The first picture could be the result of feather picking (either self-inflicted/ by flock mates), or could be due to rubbing on an object such as fencing.
The 3 pictures are from the same duck ! Okay thank you !! They are at the same area on both sides (like it's symmetrical), which makes me think that it's self-inflicted. I will keep monitoring the spots. Do you know what are the red flags ?

The 3 pictures are from the same duck ! Okay thank you !! They are at the same area on both sides (like it's symmetrical), which makes me think that it's self-inflicted. I will keep monitoring the spots. Do you know what are the red flags ?

The only red flag I can see in the picture is the bird has a minor case of wet feather; in the picture, the feathers have a soaked look which is suggestive that the bird isn't getting in water enough, such a case, will allow for debris accumulation among the feathers, and since oil distribution and preening is mostly stimulated by bathing this will add to poor water repellency. Muscovies are more inclined to develop wet feather since they tend to not bathe as much as Mallard-derived breeds. If you can get the bird bathing daily, or start misting her feathers that should help the wet feather from worsening. The picture below is how a feather should look after being exposed to water: Compare that to the pictures you posted.

1616022286859.png

The only red flag I can see in the picture is the bird has a minor case of wet feather; in the picture, the feathers have a soaked look which is suggestive that the bird isn't getting in water enough, such a case, will allow for debris accumulation among the feathers, and since oil distribution and preening is mostly stimulated by bathing this will add to poor water repellency. Muscovies are more inclined to develop wet feather since they tend to not bathe as much as Mallard-derived breeds. If you can get the birds bathing daily, or start misting her feathers that may help the wet feather from worsening. The picture below is how a feather should look after being exposed to water: Compare that to the pictures you posted.

View attachment 2574298
Okay, I understand ! They were only getting 2-3 baths per week during the winter (I live in Québec). I will make sure that they all have daily baths !!! Thank you again for your time :)

Back
Top Bottom