My baby chick won’t eat, stand or open it’s eyes!

Chance13

Hatching
May 3, 2020
I have a few chicks right now under close watch but I noticed one immediately, any time I picked her up she had her eyes closed. I threw it to fear since I had just got her. The second day I saw she still wouldn’t open her eyes when others did. She also wasn’t pecking at the food she I started to hand feed her. Today she still refuses to open here eyes, and won’t even hand feed anymore. My worries grew seeing that she wouldn’t even stand and the color of her feet was becoming my pale and dark. Idk what to do. I’ve given her sugar water, cooked egg yolk, and crushed feed in water. I’ve also kept her warm all day noticing her temperature was dropping.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chick and her legs?

How old is she?
How warm are you keeping her?

Sometimes the best you can do is keep them warm and hydrated. Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chick and her legs?

How old is she?
How warm are you keeping her?

Sometimes the best you can do is keep them warm and hydrated. Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench?

Thank you for reply but she wasn’t strong enough to make it another day. She passed away around 45 minutes after I made the post. I don’t know what she had but I’m keeping a close watch on the others I have. If you have any tips for them I’d be very grateful.

Thank you for reply but she wasn’t strong enough to make it another day. She passed away around 45 minutes after I made the post. I don’t know what she had but I’m keeping a close watch on the others I have. If you have any tips for them I’d be very grateful.
Sorry to hear that!
How old?
Some chicks can be weak, fail to thrive, if shipped - can suffer from shipping stress, have development issues, etc. It's sad when you lose one.

If you wish, post some photos of your brooder set-up, we may be able to make some suggestions.
Chicks need just one warm spot to warm up and the rest of your brooder can be cool. Keep bedding dry, clean up spills as soon as you find any. Keep water stations clean, I change my chick water several times a day. Those are the basics. It sounds like you have a handle on it and all the others are doing good.

I’m so sorry! I had a chick die from similar symptoms. It was pitiful. I suspected coccidiosis after reading up more, but I treated her too late once I noticed the symptoms. I would treat your entire flock with Corid just to be on the safe side. If she had it, it’s spreadable to the rest even if they don’t have symptoms. Medicated feed helps them fight this as well!

Back
Top Bottom