My Dad, the hoot - gotta love him!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My Dad (88, will be 89 soon) called me yesterday. Missed his call, sounded urgent, called him back as soon as I came in from tending the chickens.

Good news? While we were down there I finally got him over the obsession he had developed (that my sister was complaining about) that elderly folks sometimes get about certain daily habits.
yippiechickie.gif

Bad news, I caused new ones.
hide.gif

Dad has a new microwave. So fancy you need a degree in computer programming just to set the time on it, let alone operate it (wonder whose bright idea that one was???). So, Dad+new microwave. He loves hot dogs. Now I wouldn't touch a hot dog on dare, but Dad is 88 years old, who am I to say? He must be living right
idunno.gif
I explained to him how to cook a hot dog in the microwave again. And again....

Then we get to the new phone/answering machine we bought him....again. It's working fine, he likes it, except....

He can't get the "slow" button to work. The slow button is a pretty neat feature. The phones designers had people like me - people that talk way too fast to rightfully call themselves a southerner - in mind when they created it. If you are listening to your messages and can't quite make out the message, you can hit the slow button and slooooow the message down.

Dad wanted to know why that button wouldn't work. Conversation:

Me: It only works for messages Dad, not while you are talking to someone on the phone.
Dad: Why doesn't it work while you are talking to someone on the phone? I need to slow your speech down.
Me: Because Dad. Messages are recorded, phone calls are "live" (real time).
Dad: So why don't they make one that will slow down the live?
Me: I guess the technology doesn't exist yet Dad.
Dad: Kath (Dad is only one that can call me that & live to tell about it), that doesn't make sense! If they can do it for one, why not for the other?
Me: They just can't Dad. They just can't. *heavy sigh* So, about those hot dogs......

Why do I feel like our roles in life are slowly but surely being reversed?
gig.gif

smile.png

i give the super super fast messages because I have no sense of time, I expect the 'BEEEP at any second. I am afraid I will have to call back and finish my message.
They made that 'slow' button for me.
But I think your dad is on to something. I could use it on my son growing up too fast, I could use it on Sundays, and I could use it when the chickens get out.
I think we need to get someone right on it.

OMG how SWEET!!! I just want to squeeze him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing!

As far as the microwave goes....I will find out which sister encouraged him to buy that particular model and strangle her with my bare hands, but...

We did get the hot dogs, the stage 1 cooking and the stage 2 cooking straightened out (again), and then...

He asked me why it had a broiler on top. I'm not going through that again. I refuse to!

Me: Dad, have you ever heard the term "overkill"?
Dad: Yeah?
Me: A broiler on a microwave is overkill. Pretend it's not there.
cool.png

He can't get the "slow" button to work. The slow button is a pretty neat feature. The phones designers had people like me - people that talk way too fast to rightfully call themselves a southerner - in mind when they created it.

I suspected as much!
tongue.png

A.T. Hagan :

He can't get the "slow" button to work. The slow button is a pretty neat feature. The phones designers had people like me - people that talk way too fast to rightfully call themselves a southerner - in mind when they created it.

I suspected as much!
tongue.png

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I am the rebel child of two northerners, not my fault. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom