My dogs are dissapearing...

Are your dogs fixed? If there is a dog in heat somewhere they will be off and they can travel many miles. When I was a kid we had a rescued shepard that got neutered at the shelter. Too bad noone told him. He'd rip his chain and take off for a week miles away with his "girlfriend". He did come back after a week, very tired and thin.
roll.png

My guess is a predator. Either 2 or 4 legged. I don't want to get in trouble here, but if I see a strange dog running the fields, running livestock or deer, the rifle comes out, and another hole is dug.

I would think about buying a kennel (sometimes you can get them for free/cheap on craigs list) for your dogs when you cant watch them. There are a lot of things that might be going on. Some people make thier living stealing dogs to sell them for research laboratories or as "bait" dogs. (Look that up, i think i can't say any more on that topic on BY chickens) They could also be being killed by a neighbor who is bothered by them, or maybe a predator. I think they are disappearing too regularly for it to be a random predator problem. I think humans are involved in the dissapearences. Start looking for kennels on craigs list.

Quote:
all the ones who have dissapeared is fixed, along with my mama dog, only one who isnt is my pup

In that case, I'd have to agree that someone is not happy with your free roaming dogs. I have had dogs all my life and not one has ever left my property. We have about half an acre fenced for our dog yard. I do let mine out on the rest of the property when I am with them as they will listen and not leave me because I've trained them.

You need to either fence to keep dogs responsibly or train them to not leave the property. Sorry, I don't see any other option for you. Good luck!

All free roaming dogs here will disapear. Not only that MOST STATES have laws about letting dogs roam!!!!!!

Hate to be blunt, but keep them up or lose them.

If you cant keep them pen, you dont need them.

Free roamig dog nothing but trouble for animals or kids.

This is what we did for our one dog. We used a cloths line and tied it to a tree and the other end to the barn. Then we hooked a chain to the line and hooked the dog to the chain. He still gets a lot of running from the line and I don't worry about him leaving. I'm so sorry to hear about your dogs.
hugs.gif
sad.png

First off, I'm sorry for the loss of your dogs.
We live on 80 acres. Our yard is fenced, approx. an acre. My dog is never let out of the yard, except on a leash.
Dogs don't respect property lines and we don't want him to become a nuisance for anyone. We also love him dearly and wouldn't want to lose him.
Our neighbors that live about a 1/4 mile away apparently aren't as fond of their (four) dogs as we are ours. Two of their dogs, a bassett hound and a great pyrenees, have started coming up here and causing trouble. When they are not up here causing trouble they are down by the road causing near accidents by laying on the down side of a blind hill.
The neighbors have been spoken to, in a kindly manner and nothing has changed.
The shotgun is sitting loaded by the back door. The next time I catch them bothering my chickens or the cows they will be going home with a behind full of birdshot. If that doesn't get the message across, the next time it will be the rifle and they won't be going home.
I am one of the world's biggest animal lovers and I don't take this action lightly.
Living in the country is not an excuse to not properly care for and contain your animals.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is a pretty good idea. Also I'd add to keep I.D. tags on your dogs ALL the time. If you don't have tags then a sharpie marker on their collar. Your dogs didn't have any collars on in your pics. Maybe someone would call you if found; at least there would be hope. Microchipping is good if they end up in a pound, the pound will scan them and call you. It is about 30$ to do it at a shelter and sometimes they have special deals on vaccination days.
Your dogs all look so sweet in theur pictures.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom