My family forgot my sons birthday

I would never have gotten bent out of shape about it.....good thing too since birthdays have never been a big deal on either side of the family. We always had our own little birthday thing for the kids and that was it. The grandmothers usually remembered but that was about it. Didn't bother me tho. As someone else said even tho it's a big day to you and your son, it's just not to everyone else.

Last edited:
Quote:
Next time she tells you to ask your grandmother for $60K cash, don't bat an eye and say to her, "oh, I wouldn't want to deprive you of the pleasure of giving it to us! When do you think you'll have the check ready? You do know we are SO very greatful to you, don't you?!"

As for the birthday, as others have said, lots of folks don't get into the calling or card thing, but will love to gush over the birthday person at his/her party. The idea of a calendar marked with important dates is a good one, and if you really want family to celebrate on his birthday, next year plan a family party for that date. Doesn't have to be elaborate: pizza, cake, ice cream, presents and lots of visiting. Heck, even drop the pizza if that is too much.

For son's 7th birthday party. Invites went out to about 30 people, family included. ONE kid showed up and that was all. I finally went around the complex knocking on doors telling people to come eat. I was so very angry with my family that year.

My grandma is the same way. She has 3 "special" grandkids and thats it, she could care less about any of the others. Those 3 grandkids get whatever they want. Their mom is a physco and has burnt down the house because she is just messed up in the head. Didn't completely burn the house down but half of the house was gone and was rebuilt. Their dad is my grandmas baby (last child to be born.)

All the other grandkids never get a Happy Birthday. My grandpa always tells us happy birthday when its our birthday, he even reminds her of them too but she just chooses not to say anything. I peronally have been blamed for takeing her money and rings when it was the 3 special grandkids that took it and not me. Everyone knew it was them and even she knew it but she just blames it on me. (This happened 4-5 years before their physco decided to burn the house.)

I have actually left family get-togethers because she justs knows where to push my buttons. I have not talked to her for almost a year and it has been so drama free. She has told me to stay away from her and I said that not a dang problem. My mom knows where I'm comeing from since she has went through the same thing. I still hear some things about me floating around that she has said but I just let them slide since I prefer not to get into it with her.

My other gradma (Not really my grandma but is my 2 oldest siblings grandma. Mom has been divorced once.) has always remembered our birthdays. Even if she isn't our blood grandma we love her just as much as the other.

How sad some of yalls stories are!
At least my sons family loves him, I am thankful for that (even if they are forgetful)
smile.png

Quote:
Don;t get me wrong, they love him. Just forgot. Every single one of them. When they realized they made up for it BIG TIME, but still. The one kid that did show up was my son's best friend so he didn't notice until the next day when everyone showed up with 5 times the number of gifts they should have brought. Sometimes guilt pays off big time.

I don't know, we frequently forget birthdays in my family: we usually jokingly have to remind each other. It doesn't mean we love each other any less, I've grown up in a family where love isn't shown by saying "I love you" and giving each other a peck on the cheek, but by making sacrifices for each other. I guess every family is different!

Quote:
OMG Deb my 15 yr old went through that so many times he didn't want a party any more. He had one last year and this year I took him, Makayla and one of his friends to see the latest Pirates movie, where I fell asleep. Didn't realize Penelope Cruz was in it and I can't stand her. LOL

Last years party was at John's Incredible Pizza. We were planning on having his party there and after Bill died I found a few hundred dollars in it that said "For Kotah's B Day party at....JIP" Only reason anyone showed up was all you can eat and I was paying for the arcade games.

SarahFair I'm sorry your little guy was over looked. I'm even more sorry about what happened with your SO's mom. That was low and he probably wouldn't have thought a think about it if not for what she did. That was just really low and very tacky. She may do things for you, but you have to remember you are with her son, so she's doing for him. She's just as the line goes in "The Hangover" a bad person, all the way down to her core. I Anyone who would do that to a 6 year old is just heartless and hateful.

Give your son a B Day hug from me.

We all usually remind each other (as best we recall, haha) of upcoming birthdays and let each one know of any party that is planned or of the date to expect a call (made by the parent) on behalf of the young child to close relatives that won't be attending. Your MIL doing that with your baby seems a bit much and out of line. I'd nip that in that bud.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom