My handmade brooder!

classroomducks - How did you decide on Mallard and Pekin duck eggs? Are they particularly easy (in theory) to incubate? More successful? Part of your grant?

For others on the forum - I've heard Muscovy eggs are really tough to incubate. Is that true? Are there better eggs than others for first-timers?

The mallard eggs came from a supply company through the grant...we got 12 and paid 5$ a piece...6 died in the first 5 days...I wont go through them again. That was before I found this website. The pekins i got from someone on here because the mallards were taking forever to get there and I was reading that everyone had terrible hatches their first try and I was afraind We werent gonna end up with any babies. So out of 24 eggs we started with we are down to 15 with a few days to go...Im assuming losing a few at hatch is common so If we end up with 10 ill be happy...

As of right now no pips so probably wont be today i guess...

DuckMamaorBust - Yes, Scovie eggs are a little difficult to hatch. Most mallard derived duck eggs are standard difficulty for hatching id think. The only thing is ive heard runners migth be harder to hatch but other than that im not sure what else i could put in.

Back
Top Bottom