Daniluchau

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
Hello all!
I got two chickens today from a place off of the road in a rural town. The chickens there seemed to have a large pen and it was not over crowded. I got handed two chickens- one with a full set of feathers and another with some bald spots of raw red skin ://. It was pouring so in the frazzle of things, i didn’t notice her condition. This is my first day ever as a chicken owner and i know some background info about molting cycles, but I’ve never seen it. I know there could also be some other reasons like the pecking order or mites… because she is new, i have not had enough time to observe her behavior; if she is at the bottom of the pecking order. My sister saw the other new chicken pecking lightly at her in their new coop… I’ve attached a photo of the most prominent bald spot on her backside. Supposedly they are 6-9 months old. Down here in south Florida it’s obviously a hot and rainy summer. Any ideas on what this could be and how i could help?
anything is appreciated.
thank you!!

Attachments

• 43C12A9C-CB1F-47AD-BF2B-F00D1E515CDE.jpeg
    43C12A9C-CB1F-47AD-BF2B-F00D1E515CDE.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 49
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes this is definitely either rooster damage from over mating and or pecking from her flock mates. She needs a "hen saddle" to prevent more pecking and becoming injured.

Welcome to our community!
Thank you so so much! will do. does feeding extra protein help these feathers come back in/heal up?

Back
Top Bottom