my rooster attacked me....... again

chickenbottom

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
hollister, florida
my rooster a few days ago went after me at the back of my knees while i was getting food i didnt get to turn around and swat him away but i knew it was him. then today he came after me when i let them free range. he got my hand my whole left leg and boy did it hurt i kicked him really quick so i could get my big stick and he for about 3 more minutes kept going after me. i dont know what to do about him. i dont have the guts to end his life i just couldnt do that and hes my mothers rooster and i she likes him but she doesnt really spend time with him whats are some other options?

Quote:
ya i do take that stick with me everywhere. i didnt stop until he did but he just kept going at me and he hurts my ladies he grabs the combs instead of the feathers and hes on em one after another after another.

Quote:
the problem with that is i only go to the coop 2 - 3 times a day and ide be worried about him not getting water. and i dont want him to hate me more than he already does. oh
a question what about despurring probably not spelled right but getting his spurs removed? i have a elder friend who can do this he does it with his roosters i do believe. would that make it less painful on me?

Do you have a chick waterer that you could put in there and a half cup of food?
Getting his spurs removed might not stop him from attacking you but it will stop him from hurting you greatly.
Getting his spurs removed would also stop him from protecting his flock if danger came.

Matthew

Only the very best roosters deserve to be kept. For every rooster kept as a breeder, flock husband or pet, there are 9 others destined for dinner. Why waste your time & energy trying to change a bird's attitude? Replace this guy with another roo with better manners.

Be sure to let your Mom know what her rooster has been doing to you & why he needs to go. You could dispatch him & bury him, dispatch & eat him, or give him to someone else to keep or eat. Be certain to tell his new owner about his misbehavior.

Perhaps there's a rabbit or parrot cage you can keep him confined to until he goes to his new home. Why give him another chance to injure you?

We just had to 'dispatch' our roo for same behavior. He was jumping on DS's back everytime he went to the barn.

I hated to do it but if he jumped on DD he could really hurt her.

I hate when a good roo goes bad.

Hope things work out for you.

This might sound dumb, but it works for me. Next time he attacks ya, grab him very tightly, not letting him squirm. And pet him for five minutes right infront of his girls. He'll be humiliated & he will think twice about doing it again. lolol I have several who tried this and they really are only trying to impress their girls. Unless he is by himself. that too will cause a Rooster to be aggressive and mean. Nothing to do there but get him laid. Or IF I don't feed him on time he'll get ticked and aggressive. I love Roosters!!

Back
Top Bottom