My rooster got attacked by a dog.

Svacio

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2018
Hello, I recently got a rooster as a pet for my birthday. It' the first time I had ever own one. He recently was attacked by a dog who somehow got in my back yard. I thought he was dead because he didn't move at all. But when I got closer I saw him breathing. He doesn' have any viable injuries. He is just missing feathers from his neck. I don' know what to do. Please help.

Keep him warm and make him feel safe. Bring him into the house if you can. He needs water and food easily accessible. If you can, give him vitamins and electrolytes in his water - tractor supply or Agway have packets for chicks that you can use. He's probably in quite a bit of shock right now, so low light is better. It will keep him calm . . . chickens tend to fall asleep in very low light.
Can you post a picture of him? That might help a little with diagnosing.

Is he awake and alert, moving, able to stand or walk? Does he have any puffy areas under the skin around his neck, chest, or back? Keep him quiet in a dim spot if he is not alert, and look him over again for any hidden wounds, bruising, or punctures. Only when he is alert, offer him sips of water from a cup, and give him some chopped egg or tuna along with his usual feed.

Back
Top Bottom