My rooster keeps attacking me!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
If you want to keep him you should do your best to ignore him.
Smacking a rooster does nothing positive. The average human is 100-200lbs and a rooster is like 5lbs. If you think you’re going to teach him he’s wrong by hitting him well I don’t know what to tell you. That ship has already sailed. He is clearly viewing you as a threat by the way you do things and without a lot of information on just how you do everything and your unwillingness to understand rooster behavior the chance of him changing are slim.

Any applicable techniques for that?

I tend to agree but thought offering OP some advice instead of broad ethical things may be helpful. I was wrong lol, but for my own edification, how do you instill respect in a rooster then?

whats the tatic then

I’ve had a couple nasty roos and several very sweet roos. Culling a nasty one isn’t giving up, it is saving yourself a whole lot of trouble and a potential lawsuit. If you have an aggressive roo that attacks a neighbor/child/visitor, prepare for trouble. Especially with small children! Believe it or not, that animal that is 5 times smaller than you CAN cause serious injuries and potentially even death to a small child. If you really want to stick with this rooster, DON’T hit him or defend yourself. In his eyes this makes you something he can fight. You’ll just be throwing gas on the fire. Instead “fight” him in a way he has no clue how to retaliate to. Every time you walk into the coop, pick him up and hold him tightly. This puts him in a position of submission and humiliates him in front of his hens. He may be too old to get this lesson, but it is your best chance of stopping this aggression without culling him.

Give up like a baby.... we’re trying to help and you’re throwing insults?
It’s actually the right thing to do. Once a rooster starts attacking, it’s usually too late to make them stop. Small has nothing to do with it; the 2 inch razor sharp turned in spurs are the threat. Roosters are definitively not small to a young child being attacked and can cause permanent damage.
please don’t be an ass when someone is trying to help you. You’re just as disrespectful as your rooster.
I wasent insulting anyody I was being insulted and giving tips of my knowledge so please everyone calm down. We cant all get mad we cant argue over chickens

Yes, I just let them know from the beginning and observe their behavior. We played the taming game with an aggressive rooster and it made things worse. Now I just go into each cockerel raising with a different attitude, like the one you would have when dealing with an aggressive dog. I carry myself in a confident way, and will even put my arms out at my sides just to make sure he knows I’m bigger, dominant and not scared at all. I’m basically taking the role of the dominant rooster. I never chase them down or hold them down / just love through the coop with confidence and I observe. You’d be amazed how many things you can prevent by picking up on small dominant cues. A lot of people mistake their roosters for being playful or wanting attention and they don’t realize they are feeding an issue by responding like certain behaviors are cute. Especially the people who raise their roosters as chicks and want them to remain cuddly and sweet. That’s an open invitation to be dominated by a rooster as it matures. IMO a cuddly rooster is a worthless rooster. I want my Roos to be confident and strut around and do their rooster thing; just as long as you respect me when I come around. Getting out of my way is good enough for me.
I wholeheartedly agree. I also do this, couldn't have summed it up so eloquently though. I have two roosters, one hatched from a broody one bought as a juvenile. I walk through them and generally ignore them, while not really turning my back on them and being a quiet but strong boss/provider. They will NEVER accept petting from me, but I have also NEVER been attacked. It works so far.

All the other things I suggested I read here on byc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom