Goosebaby

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 10, 2019
Northern California
There isn’t a lot of information out there about mycoplasma, or chronic respiratory disease in geese and ducks other than vague descriptions that are often copy pasted from few sources, so I thought I’d post a useful article I found about it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119397950

I recommend reading it fully to get the most out of it but if it’s too long of a read here’s a brief summary.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Symptoms of various mycoplasma strains in geese and ducks can include:

Respiratory issues
Airsacculitis
Peritonitis
Salpingitis
Inflammation of the cloaca and phallus
Delayed or poor laying
Malformed eggs
Loss of embryo
Depression
Reduced appetite
Swollen joints
Arthritis in goslings

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Respiratory symptoms are typically worse in goslings, symptoms can or will appear in older birds during laying/breeding season.

Antibiotic sensitivity tests found that most antimicrobial drugs, such as tylosin, enrofloxacin, lincomycin, oxytetracycline, and chlortetracycline were unlikely to prevent or treat mycoplasma in geese and ducks as compared to tiamulin.
They don’t give dosage for prevention or treatment other than the powdered form administered in feed to goslings “100 mg/kg of feed for 10 d” so you’ll have to do your own reasearch for the proper dosages if you’re administering the liquid form to water.

From my own expierience not a lot of poultry vets are expierienced with waterfowl so if you suspect a mycoplasma infection in your flock you may have to ask for them to test for mycoplasma, though there are many strains, so testing for a specific strain may not show a positive result for others maybe.

Last edited:
Hello, I just found this thread... My gander keeps having a recurring case of foamy eye, and I'd usually just clean it and it would go away. (this has ben reoccurring for over a year now) I forget where, but I believe I had read an article stating that they can get foamy eye from A) stress or B) dirt in the eye. That aside, do I need to be concerned/start possibly treating my gander for MG?

Hello, I just found this thread... My gander keeps having a recurring case of foamy eye, and I'd usually just clean it and it would go away. (this has ben reoccurring for over a year now) I forget where, but I believe I had read an article stating that they can get foamy eye from A) stress or B) dirt in the eye. That aside, do I need to be concerned/start possibly treating my gander for MG?
Make sure he has access to water deep enough to clean his face daily, dirt and other degree can cause irritation to the eyes.

If it’s mycoplasma you can treat it with Tylosin or denegard, Tylosin is less irritating than denegard. I found it more effective than denegard personally. It depends on strain though. Mycoplasma isn’t something that can be cured, only managed though. It will reappear any time the bird is stressed from another illness, hot or cold weather, or flock drama.

Last edited:
There isn’t a lot of information out there about mycoplasma, or chronic respiratory disease in geese and ducks other than vague descriptions that are often copy pasted from few sources, so I thought I’d post a useful article I found about it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119397950

I recommend reading it fully to get the most out of it but if it’s too long of a read here’s a brief summary.

Symptoms of various mycoplasma strains in geese and ducks can include:

Respiratory issues
Airsacculitis
Peritonitis
Salpingitis
Inflammation of the cloaca and phallus
Delayed or poor laying
Malformed eggs
Loss of embryo
Depression
Reduced appetite
Swollen joints
Arthritis in goslings

Respiratory symptoms are typically worse in goslings, symptoms can or will appear in older birds during laying/breeding season.

Antibiotic sensitivity tests found that most antimicrobial drugs, such as tylosin, enrofloxacin, lincomycin, oxytetracycline, and chlortetracycline were unlikely to prevent or treat mycoplasma in geese and ducks as compared to tiamulin.
They don’t give dosage for prevention or treatment other than the powdered form administered in feed to goslings “100 mg/kg of feed for 10 d” so you’ll have to do your own reasearch for the proper dosages if you’re administering the liquid form to water.

From my own expierience not a lot of poultry vets are expierienced with waterfowl so if you suspect a mycoplasma infection in your flock you may have to ask for them to test for mycoplasma, though there are many strains, so testing for a specific strain may not show a positive result for others maybe.
Thank you I read through most of it. was really informative.

Make sure he has access to water deep enough to clean his face daily, dirt and other degree can cause irritation to the eyes.

If it’s mycoplasma you can treat it with Tylosin or denegard, Tylosin is less irritating than denegard. I found it more effective than denegard personally. It depends on strain though. Mycoplasma isn’t something that can be cured, only managed though. It will reappear any time the bird is stressed from another illness, hot or cold weather, or flock drama.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom