Mystery Diagnosis, in dire need of guidance.

Chookmama4

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
I have a 10 week Easter Egger chick, she’s been battling leg issues since week 3. She’s eating, drinking, gaining weight, normal poop, and has a lot of spunk, she just doesn’t stand for long periods. She’ll make the short trek for food and water, but she’s always sitting otherwise. Will stand to preen for a minute at most, before plopping back down. Her legs are normal, not swollen, no Bumblefoot. Toes and joints look fine. No injuries. We’re 90% sure it’s not Mareks. I’ve been treating for vitamin deficiency with Polyvisol for two weeks, and she’s been on 1/2 a crushed vitamin B complex daily for a week. There have been no improvements, or worsening, of symptoms. I’ve googled all I can, I simply cannot find any other possible causes. Is there anything else I can try for her, or is it time to cull?

Thanks

If she could acquire the use of at least one leg I could keep her. But I don’t have the time or energy for a special needs chicken, and I’m afraid her quality of life would be sub-par because of it. Fingers crossed she starts improving soon!
Sometimes bum leg is the only clue for Marek's.

Sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders!

How odd for a hatchery chick to need to be treated for a respiratory infection! Do you know if that was something picked up at your place?

I have more questions and suggestions, but gotta run out to a dentist appointment. Hang in there! :fl

If it is just a disability, I have an Easter egger with a bum leg. She hops mostly on her good leg and only puts the other down to stand. Vet said there was nothing for it. She lays fine, she is big enough not to be picked on, even mates fine with her rooster. I know it’s not exactly the same as I am really just a pet owner, not a business really. But it’s possible. I don’t have to do anything extra for her. I hope your girl gets better though!

We’re 90% sure it’s not Mareks.
she’s been battling leg issues since week 3.
So going on 7 weeks now? But only recently treated with the Poly Vi and B complex? Any E? Or looked at E deficiency?

Was she raised with a broody? What is being fed on a regular basis including treats?

Are you able to post a video? (I see it posted while I was typing)

Sounds very much like Marek's is a possibility.

If others aren't picking on her and you're okay with a special needs bird... she may live fine.

I personally would cull... probably a long time ago, because I breed my birds and only the strongest will be welcome to the next generations. Also I don't have time or energy for special needs birds. But I know that isn't the right answer for everyone.

Some people do have Marek's birds living in their flock. The flock has already been exposed... but less exposure to me is still less than having the active virus continually shed through dander and such to the other birds.

Sorry you face this. :(

Hope you start to see recovery! :fl

ETA: vitamin deficiency can take longer to recover from.

Sorry another edit: In case you do cull getting a necropsy can confirm diagnosis. Links to help...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

I have a white crested black polish bantam that TashaFrancois perfectly described, but as long as your chicken isn’t showing any pain and is otherwise healthy and you can take care of a special needs chicken, I would leave her be. It is entirely up to you.

If she could acquire the use of at least one leg I could keep her. But I don’t have the time or energy for a special needs chicken, and I’m afraid her quality of life would be sub-par because of it. Fingers crossed she starts improving soon!

I have a Guinea with a bad leg as well. We named him Poppy, but now he is Hoppy. He is a year old and holds his own with the chickens. If they get in his way, he grabs a tail feather. He is kind of a mascot now, and gets along even with his bad leg, but he looks really stiff during wet weather.

Can you upload a video of her to YouTube and link it here?

Can you upload a video of her to YouTube and link it here?

This is all I have. She very rarely will walk, and if she does she has a bit of a time balancing, not enough to put her wings out to steady herself, but enough to seem unsure of how to walk...if that makes sense.

So going on 7 weeks now? But only recently treated with the Poly Vi and B complex? Any E? Or looked at E deficiency?

Was she raised with a broody? What is being fed on a regular basis including treats?

Are you able to post a video? (I see it posted while I was typing)

Sounds very much like Marek's is a possibility.

If others aren't picking on her and you're okay with a special needs bird... she may live fine.

I personally would cull... probably a long time ago, because I breed my birds and only the strongest will be welcome to the next generations. Also I don't have time or energy for special needs birds. But I know that isn't the right answer for everyone.

Some people do have Marek's birds living in their flock. The flock has already been exposed... but less exposure to me is still less than having the active virus continually shed through dander and such to the other birds.

Sorry you face this. :(

Hope you start to see recovery! :fl

ETA: vitamin deficiency can take longer to recover from.

She had a respiratory infection, runny nose, listless, puffed out, from week 3-5 that was treated with some antibiotics so the sitting seemed normal. Then she recovered from the RI and continued the sitting. I’ve looked at vit E deficiency but it hasn’t seemed like a good fit, I’m certainly willing to try.

She wasn’t raised broody as far as I know, she came from a hatchery. She eats a non medicated crumble feed, gets yogurt and some dried meal worms occasionally. She hasn’t taken to fruits or leafy greens yet. Her water is treated with both save-a-chick probiotic and electrolyte.

I’ve been back and forth with the Mareks but I haven’t found a case similar to hers. if the onset was at week three, and it’s now week ten and she’s growing like a normal chick, and exhibiting no other symptoms than leg paralysis, could it still be Mareks?

She doesn’t interact with my three older hens, as she lives inside with two other chicks a few weeks younger than her, from a different hatchery that had been vaccinated for Mareks, and they’ve been fine thus far. But I understand that Mareks has an incubation period and is highly contagious, etc etc.

I don’t want to cull if I think there’s a chance she’ll fully regain the use of her legs.

But it’s a tough call if I can’t figure out what’s going on and how to treat or how long to wait until I know treatment isn’t working.

Here’s a few other pictures, maybe I’m missing something that’s right in front of me.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• FDA05422-5710-4605-84F7-3CBEB764D006.jpeg
    FDA05422-5710-4605-84F7-3CBEB764D006.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 7
  • 49266AFF-F90F-4A58-805E-2B72820190FD.jpeg
    49266AFF-F90F-4A58-805E-2B72820190FD.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 7
  • 123AD820-9504-4937-9F73-AA6EF19E8419.jpeg
    123AD820-9504-4937-9F73-AA6EF19E8419.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: