Mystery illness in hen

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
One of my hens I’ve had for at least 6 months now is displaying signs of illness. She isn’t standing up correctly, almost crouching and keeps her head low to the ground as well. I offered her some food and she ate it like she hadn’t eaten in awhile also her crop was empty. She is walking around slowly as i put her outside, but when i put her in the coop she just stays in the nesting box. I thought she was egg bound, but she poo-ed and her stance is not like an egg bound hen. I can pick her up with no trouble which is weird because usually she squawks, also another hen tried to attack her whilst she was outside. What do i do?

Attachments

• F8FBA5A6-0FB5-4D97-B1B7-3DDF2F72CAF4.jpeg
    F8FBA5A6-0FB5-4D97-B1B7-3DDF2F72CAF4.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 10
What does the poop color look like? Is there a steady drip from her vent? Has she laid any soft shell eggs lately? Is her vent swollen and does it look like she could prolapse?

Has she just come off molt? Is her keel bone sharp and protruding? Is there any sign she's being bullied? Can she compete at the feeder without giving up and running away?

What does the poop color look like? Is there a steady drip from her vent? Has she laid any soft shell eggs lately? Is her vent swollen and does it look like she could prolapse?

Has she just come off molt? Is her keel bone sharp and protruding? Is there any sign she's being bullied? Can she compete at the feeder without giving up and running away?
Her and another hen have the same coloured eggs and most are coming off lay now as it gets dark around 4. All eggs i collect are fine though. I didn’t get a good look at the vent, but she seems a healthy weight and definitely isn’t the lowest of the pecking order. I’ve never seen another hen attack her apart from today.

Attachments

• 247D1BD3-32D0-4BC9-A92C-C1EF6BD956A9.jpeg
    247D1BD3-32D0-4BC9-A92C-C1EF6BD956A9.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 6
I would assume from the symptoms and lack of a sign of reproductive issues that she may have picked up a bacterial infection from scratching around outside, perhaps digging up something rotten or moldy.

Do you have an antibiotic on hand? I would start her in it and see if that improves things.

I would assume from the symptoms and lack of a sign of reproductive issues that she may have picked up a bacterial infection from scratching around outside, perhaps digging up something rotten or moldy.

Do you have an antibiotic on hand? I would start her in it and see if that improves things.
Perhaps, I’ll look for one

Back
Top Bottom