Naicin deficiency?

kpatel

Hatching
Oct 17, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Im new here and with ducks and need some help. I just got 2 pekin ducks that are maybe around 7wks old. One is limping and legs look in bad shape. Ive only had her for 3 days and I have been giving her 1ml of tsc vitamin b complex liquid . How soon would I see any improvement. Im really worried for this little one and want to do what I can quickly. Please see my picture attached and let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20201017-191328.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201017-191328.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 10
  • VideoCapture_20201017-191825.jpg
    VideoCapture_20201017-191825.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 5
Definitely a niacin deficiency. It looks like she's bowed legged? Keep up the liquid vitamin B - that's the perfect thing to do! I would also maybe confine her, with her friend, to a small space so as she's strengthening her legs she doesn't do more damage in her quest to keep up with more active ducks. Swimming in the bathtub is good exercise. I had a duckling with splay leg whose legs went out to the side and she stopped walking much and had trouble getting up. I was able to fix this with the liquid vitamin B and vet wrap which held the legs in proper position.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens.

Recovery time can vary with each bird, generally, the younger the bird, the quicker recovery time is because their legs are more "flexible". For a seven a week old duckling, I would suspect several weeks for noticeable improvement.

Best of luck with her, please do keep us posted on her condition. If you'd like more information pertaining to niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, you may click the link in my signature/

Definitely a niacin deficiency. It looks like she's bowed legged? Keep up the liquid vitamin B - that's the perfect thing to do! I would also maybe confine her, with her friend, to a small space so as she's strengthening her legs she doesn't do more damage in her quest to keep up with more active ducks. Swimming in the bathtub is good exercise. I had a duckling with splay leg whose legs went out to the side and she stopped walking much and had trouble getting up. I was able to fix this with the liquid vitamin B and vet wrap which held the legs in proper position.
Thank you that is great idea to confine her to build strength. Glad to here success with your duckling.

Welcome to BackYard Chickens.

Recovery time can vary with each bird, generally, the younger the bird, the quicker recovery time is because their legs are more "flexible". For a seven a week old duckling, I would suspect several weeks for noticeable improvement.

Best of luck with her, please do keep us posted on her condition. If you'd like more information pertaining to niacin deficiencies in waterfowl, you may click the link in my signature/
I will! thanks for the info. reassuring to hear

I had the identical problem but with a goose. It took two weeks to notice any improvement and i continued with B complex fir quite a while. Now that she's grown, her legs are great and you would never know she had a problem.
thats great to hear. Ive been quite worried for her and just want to know what Im doing is helping . the does seem to be standing more and she was standing tall and flapping her wings. thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom