Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Thanks Kev,why do you think that the brother to the pullet has white legs?I will have to check the leg color of the blue cuckoo olive egger hen.Could there also be dominant white in the line,and would that result in white birds?

He's also cuckoo, just can't see it due to his being white- we know he is cuckoo because his mother was & it's sex linked(white pullet does not have cuckoo for the same reason).

Cuckoo/barring also has the side effect of interfering with pigmentation in the dermal layer in the leg skin.

Another possibility is a gene called Id- Inhibitor of Dermal melanin. It's also sex linked and inherits the same way as cuckoo/barring does. it's possible for the boys to have both Id and cuckoo resulting in very clear legs.

A white skinned bird with cuckoo and/or Id will have white legs... a white skinned bird lacking Id or cuckoo will have blue legs. It's yellow & green legs, on yellow skinned birds, respectively.

for dominant white to be a possibility, it's necessary for at least one of the parents to have it, just like with the NN gene. So with a gold laced roo, cuckoo hen, that's simply not possible.

He's also cuckoo, just can't see it due to his being white- we know he is cuckoo because his mother was & it's sex linked(white pullet does not have cuckoo for the same reason).

Cuckoo/barring also has the side effect of interfering with pigmentation in the dermal layer in the leg skin.

Another possibility is a gene called Id- Inhibitor of Dermal melanin. It's also sex linked and inherits the same way as cuckoo/barring does. it's possible for the boys to have both Id and cuckoo resulting in very clear legs.

A white skinned bird with cuckoo and/or Id will have white legs... a white skinned bird lacking Id or cuckoo will have blue legs. It's yellow & green legs, on yellow skinned birds, respectively.

for dominant white to be a possibility, it's necessary for at least one of the parents to have it, just like with the NN gene. So with a gold laced roo, cuckoo hen, that's simply not possible.
One last question,If he is bred to a black bird,can I expect some cuckoo birds?
Thanks

My guess is female also and she is quite pretty!
I am hoping female.
fl.gif

Lost "Big Mama Neck Neck"a week ago to stray dogs.I normally don't name chickens but she was the most gentle chicken that I have ever owned. I have a young roo from her.So maybe her gentle nature will be inherited. 
She looks just like the one I just lost in this past heat wave. She was also very gentle. Glad you have her young to continue her line. Sorry for your loss.

Hi everybody, I raise breeder quality and occasionally show quality NNs LF. My rooster seems to over breed the hens, what can I do about this except for seperating them? Because he stresses when not with the hens? I also have a med. hatch of chicks due Sunday so excited :)

Welcome! I and suspect quite a few others would really love to see pictures of your birds!
Hi everybody, I raise breeder quality and occasionally show quality NNs LF. My rooster seems to over breed the hens, what can I do about this except for seperating them? Because he stresses when not with the hens? I also have a med. hatch of chicks due Sunday so excited :)

If the roo is young, it might just take some time. Some roosters 'cool it down' once they fully mature. If he's already mature... may need more hens so if there's more space for extra hens.. other than that I can't really think of anything.. Hmm.

He's about a year and a half. We have 7 in with him, 5 of which are adults, but only 3 of the 5 are laying as two are old. And it's hard to tell who is not laying. But we will add more to the flock as we get them. He eyeballs my Cochin hens... That would be a weird creation, NN Large Fowl Cochin. Hmm

Back
Top Bottom