Name That Color

jadip4

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
South Carolina
I've been wanting to brag and share my excitement a little .. so maybe y'all can help me out a little and give me some input. You see, I have no idea what to call the color of this EE hen:
20180320_175450.jpg

.. but I crossed her with this guy:
20180320_175613.jpg

.. and got a mess of these little beauties, who look like they will end up either splash, blue, or lavender (more pics here):
20180328_182958.jpg

Whatcha think?

She doesn't look like a typical EE per her comb and waddles.

I have a girl with those colors though, also an EE. She throws the prettiest blue babies. We call her blue based buff with incomplete lacing.... something I made up that seems to best describe it.

Looks like you've got at least one black chick (male according to stance). The others look like they will be blue or splash. Lav seems like wishful thinking. I have the same wishes! :p

Cute babies! :love

The hen is wild-type partridge (a recessive pattern gene) with Blue. The rooster is a leaky Splash, based on extended black (the most dominant of all pattern genes). So it makes sense that you got solid colored chicks, 4 Blues and 3 Splash. Lavender is a completely different gene from Blue/Splash.

I've been wanting to brag and share my excitement a little .. so maybe y'all can help me out a little and give me some input. You see, I have no idea what to call the color of this EE hen:
View attachment 1315794

.. but I crossed her with this guy:
View attachment 1315795

.. and got a mess of these little beauties, who look like they will end up either splash, blue, or lavender (more pics here):
View attachment 1315797

Whatcha think?
She looks like blue wildtype/partridge because the chicks she produced with the splash rooster came out blue black splash, they will likely have some leakage of groundcolor (red/brown). If she was just splash, all the chicks would be splash. :thumbsup

@AMERAUCANAS4REAL Ohhhh .. I got a lot of reading to do. Any suggestions on where to start?

Our hen was a hatchery EE from Murray McMurray. No telling what's in there. She's a pretty girl and lays mint green eggs.

Looks like you've got at least one black chick (male according to stance)
That one actually belongs to the BA that did such a fantastic job at hatching these cuties.

@AMERAUCANAS4REAL Ohhhh .. I got a lot of reading to do. Any suggestions on where to start?

Our hen was a hatchery EE from Murray McMurray. No telling what's in there. She's a pretty girl and lays mint green eggs.

That one actually belongs to the BA that did such a fantastic job at hatching these cuties.
Here. I have genetic trouble sometimes too. Sometimes this helps me. I know... not always accurate, but very informative.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Standard partridge is what you see on Welsummers and Brown Leghorns, with the rosey brown chest on the hens. Wild-type allows patterning through the chest of females.
Now I'm confused.
I thought light brown leghorns were wildtype. Wildtype being also called duckwing.
And partridge was like partridge rocks, cochins etc. or silver penciled for the silver version.
PS just talking about in the states. I know partridge is different in other places.

Back
Top Bottom