Name That Color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jadip4, Mar 29, 2018.

1. jadip4

jadip4 Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    South Carolina
    I've been wanting to brag and share my excitement a little .. so maybe y'all can help me out a little and give me some input. You see, I have no idea what to call the color of this EE hen:
    20180320_175450.jpg

.. but I crossed her with this guy:
    20180320_175613.jpg

.. and got a mess of these little beauties, who look like they will end up either splash, blue, or lavender (more pics here):
    20180328_182958.jpg

Whatcha think?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

She doesn't look like a typical EE per her comb and waddles.

I have a girl with those colors though, also an EE. She throws the prettiest blue babies. We call her blue based buff with incomplete lacing.... something I made up that seems to best describe it.

Looks like you've got at least one black chick (male according to stance). The others look like they will be blue or splash. Lav seems like wishful thinking. I have the same wishes! :p

Cute babies! :love

jadip4 likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The hen is wild-type partridge (a recessive pattern gene) with Blue. The rooster is a leaky Splash, based on extended black (the most dominant of all pattern genes). So it makes sense that you got solid colored chicks, 4 Blues and 3 Splash. Lavender is a completely different gene from Blue/Splash.

jadip4 likes this.
  4. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    She looks like blue wildtype/partridge because the chicks she produced with the splash rooster came out blue black splash, they will likely have some leakage of groundcolor (red/brown). If she was just splash, all the chicks would be splash. :thumbsup

jadip4 likes this.
  5. jadip4

jadip4 Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    South Carolina
    @AMERAUCANAS4REAL Ohhhh .. I got a lot of reading to do. Any suggestions on where to start?

Our hen was a hatchery EE from Murray McMurray. No telling what's in there. She's a pretty girl and lays mint green eggs.

That one actually belongs to the BA that did such a fantastic job at hatching these cuties.

AMERAUCANAS4REAL likes this.
  6. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    Here. I have genetic trouble sometimes too. Sometimes this helps me. I know... not always accurate, but very informative.
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

jadip4 likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Can you describe to me how it is different than standard partridge? Thank you. :pop

jadip4 likes this.
  8. jadip4

jadip4 Songster

Mar 6, 2018
    South Carolina
    Thank you! I have dabbled with the generator .. aren't all those letters and symbols are confusing?? lol

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Standard partridge is what you see on Welsummers and Brown Leghorns, with the rosey brown chest on the hens. Wild-type allows patterning through the chest of females.

EggSighted4Life and jadip4 like this.
  10. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Now I'm confused.
    I thought light brown leghorns were wildtype. Wildtype being also called duckwing.
    And partridge was like partridge rocks, cochins etc. or silver penciled for the silver version.
    PS just talking about in the states. I know partridge is different in other places.

jadip4 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: