Neck vertebrae growth in pullet (not wry neck)- turkey issue?

Chickenpapa77

Chirping
Sep 28, 2021
Hi,

My 19 week old snuggle bug Fiona seemed unable to tear clover 2 days ago and yesterday she was very tired and off balance not eating or drinking and holding head funny. Got into a chicken vet and they found abnormality on one side of one vertebrae as though swollen vertebrae. I don’t remember the terminology the vet used, but he said turkeys commonly get this and if that is what it is, antibiotics take care of it. Also said it is possibly an injury. I’m 2 days into a 7 day treatment. I searched the internet and could not find anything like this. She is the sweetest chicken ever and hops in my lap at every opportunity. I want to do everything I can for her. She is occasionally eating small bits of wet food and sardines when I hand feed her.

Anyone else have this experience.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 23
It could well be wry neck. Wry neck can be a neurological sign of head or neck injury, vitamin E deficiency, and also can be a sign of certain viruses that affect the brain. So, I would treat her with vitamin E 400 IU daily, a little egg for selenium, and then it would be fine to follow your vet’s advice. I would think something like meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory medicine might be helpful. I’m not sure about antibiotics helping, but I’m not a vet. Does the vet think it is from an infection?

It could well be wry neck. Wry neck can be a neurological sign of head or neck injury, vitamin E deficiency, and also can be a sign of certain viruses that affect the brain. So, I would treat her with vitamin E 400 IU daily, a little egg for selenium, and then it would be fine to follow your vet’s advice. I would think something like meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory medicine might be helpful. I’m not sure about antibiotics helping, but I’m not a vet. Does the vet think it is from an infection?
Vet thinks it is a cyst in the bone. I felt it as well. He prescribed Clindamycin for 7 days. I don’t know if it is starting to work or if she finally got hungry enough, but she just started eating hand fed dry food for the first time in 2.5 days. I have been giving her nutridrench as well.

Back
Top Bottom