Need coop to fit town laws

Alyx01

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
I've been looking at a lot of the coops on here and I keep running into the same problem: all of the coops are too tall. My town has the following limitations for chickens: Coop can be up to 20sq ft, run can be up to 20sq ft, and coops/runs can't be taller than 48". I need a coop that looks visually appealing (so neighbors don't complain) but it still has to fit into the town laws. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Actually, how realistic is it that someone from the town would come and measure everything? I have to apply for a building permit to build a coop, do they usually require a building plan? I’ll probably just make it bigger than what they allow

Speaking from my experience in construction management. A building permit will be required for a structure over a certain size. Often this size is 10ftx10ft, but it can vary, so check with your town building department. Often smaller structures, dog house, small shed, etc. do not require a building permit. If you are pulling a building permit you will need to submit a building plan to the town in order for them to issue a permit, and yes a site visit is required. If you are running water, electrical, and/or heating/cooling to the structure a permit will be required regardless of structure size. Once a permit is pulled, a final inspection will be required by the town building department to issue a CO; your the town building department will guide you through this part. For example plumbing would need to be inspected before walls are closed up, not at the end of the entire construction project. Inspections may need to be scheduled a certain day of week, etc.

A permit to keep chickens is separate from a building permit and would still be governed by the town, but a different department. In my town there are requirements in terms of the coop/structure, but this was separate to the building department and tied with animal control instead. My town had requirements for the coop that it must be x number of feet back from neighbors' property line, fully fenced, provide adequate/humane shelter from the elements for the number of birds. An animal control officer stopped by the property to view the coop/run before the chicken permit was issued, much easier and less formal than a building permit.

So yeah, looking at your rules... it's basically 2 standard chickens, max. And no free ranging (normally I don't have issue with that, but 20 sq ft run and no free ranging? REALLY?). The fact that you need a PERMIT for such a tiny coop is ridiculous! But as noted by PirateGirl because they are requiring a permit you will have to follow the size restrictions because they will check to ensure compliance, just as if you were doing renovations to your house.

The only good thing I can say for your town's rules is at least they let you have chickens... though it's silly that they think people could have up to a maximum of SIX chickens in such a tiny space.

Can you talk some sense into your city regarding such foolishness? Can you convince them that chickens as flock animals should be kept in groups of more than 2, and their laws only allow for ethical housing for 2 birds? Many feed stores will not even sell less than 6 birds b/c of their flock needs.

Are you allowed to have a garden shed? If so, is there any way you can get around the crazy by having a garden shed that is divided for chicken use and tool use? You could then put a pop door on the side or back, and attach your run to that. But a 20 s.f. run will only allow 2 chickens. Could you then, combine the 20' coop allowance with the 20' run allowance and have a "mock coop" and run, which would allow you to essentially have 4 birds.

Your other option would be to live with the foolish laws and get 3 bantams to live in your total 40 s.f. allotment.

You know...... It occurs to me that some towns don't REALLY want to allow chickens so they make ridiculous requirements.
Things like coop space to small to actually allow enjoying having birds.
Coops that have to be 50' from neighboring property lines.
Permits for coops, inspections etc etc etc.

It can get overwhelming.

My best advice is know the laws, function within the laws or work to change the laws.

Trying to pull a fast one tends to have the ones against keeping chickens saying "I told you so!".

What is your climate OP? Are there specific rules regarding what the structure can be made of? Depending on your climate and the regulations I'm thinking that a hoop coupe of sorts maybe able to stay within the size limitations but still provide a better total living experience for the Burt's you do keep. There are a lot of different ways to configure a hoop coupe that would really work around the traditional separate co-op and front area and allow you to make the most of the total amount of space you're allowed to have for the birds. It still would not be optimal, but it would be much preferable to the space allotments described above or those allotted in the prefab units. It also may be that the ordinances were not written so much with malice or intent to deter chicken keeping but out of ignorance such as we see here every day with relation to the prefab units and the amount of space that they allow for birds. If the person's on the council writing the ordinance were not experienced with poultry keeping they would be like any new chicken keeper and prone to think that the amount of space allowed by those little units is what a chicken really needs. This may in fact as noted above be an opportunity for you to offer an educational response to the ordinance regarding the actual needs of chickens in an effort to encourage change for the well being of the animals. Or you can make the best of the regulations as they are by trying creative ways to build with the in the restrictions and still allow the most for your flock

If I read that right........
Permanently inside the run and coop with no escapes. Coop to be tiny and run tiny. Fifteen feet from property line. Max birds 6. Permit required.

And the kicker........

Violations are subject to a daily fine of up to 200 dollars a day until the violation is corrected.

:th

To strict for me to operate within.

Might skip the chickens and get a rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom