Need help with button quail

Rashid100

Songster
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Hello everyone. 4 button quail chicks hatched in my homemade bator yesterday. They are now in the brooder and seem healthy. But one of them has something by his vent. Looks sorta like an umbilical cord. I noticed it right when he hatched, but it hadn't dried up yet. He's hatched almost a day ago. Do I Need to remove it?
Any suggestions would help a lot. Thanks

I'd wait. It kind of looks like poop. Sometimes I see poop inside of a newly hatched egg......maybe it got stuck on his bum. I'd wait a little while before you do anything.

I have had some that I just polled their butts in warm water for a bit. Gave it a gentle wiping. Nothing stuck to a butt anymore.

It is possible that is the yolk/umbilical cord but that particular picture looks more like poop, I'd need a different one to say for sure.

If you have instability of temperature or humidity it can cause chicks to hatch without fully absorbing the yolk. typically these chicks will have something trailing from hatch and it is most often bloody. If you see you should isolate that chick because the others will pick at the bloody yolk and it can make them sick as well as killing the other bird. They will often survive hatching without fully absorbing the yolk but they will be weaker at the start.

Edit to actually answer the question....Leave it alone unless it is blocking his vent or going to cause a blockage of the vent in the future. If it is the cord it'll fall off shortly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. It was poop I ended up gently removing it. He's fine now :)

Back
Top Bottom