Need help with rat roller

Ash0587

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2018
I have a serious rat problem (I'm in the city), and despite using a grandpa's feeder rats are still attracted to my coops. They no longer fall for my snap traps and my ratinator was broken by my husband (accidentally smashed it, and truth be told I didn't like some of the flaws with getting them out after they got trapped). I had alll the stuff to set up a bucket roller trap for free so I did that, but peanut butter doesn't attract these guys. With the ratinator I kept a cup of feed and dried fruit that worked like a charm. Has anyone come up with a way to keep feed inside of the rolling part of the roller on a bucket trap so I can attract the rats? Open to other ways I can use a 55 gal drum as a trap that would actually work, I'm just not coming up with anything good on my own.
Also looking for tips on how to train my lab/Pitt mix to help me with taking out rats if he can find them. He's a big dog so he can't go into tight space to go after them like a terrier could.

I discovered a rat problem about 6 months ago (after 3 years with nothing!) and tried all manner of traps. After fixing the one section of my run that didn't have hardware cloth extending on the ground perimeter and eliminating that entry hole, the only other thing that finally worked for me was to block the feeders and start using my dog. I tried something similar to a rat roller but I only had a 5 gallon bucket and it didn't work for me, rats could reach the side too easily or jump out. But a 55 gallon drum could probably do a much better job actually keeping the rats trapped.

Instead of a roller, you could try a cardboard platform:
There isn't an explanation in this video, but it's important that the cardboard is weighted and offers a bit of sturdy ground before dumping them inside, otherwise they won't trust it enough to venture out. The packing tape holds bait in place without spilling it all in the bin when it tips. There's many versions of this type of trap on YouTube if you search.

How I "trained" my dog to hunt rats:

I have a lab and a pitbull. The lab isn't interested in rats or anything, but I had to do quite a lot of training to make sure my pittie, Daisy, wouldn't harm my chickens. So when I first had trouble with rats I didn't know if I could teach her to kill something. I don't know what your setup is like, but my run (and coop) is completely predator proof once the run doors are locked. I keep those doors open to let my birds out to a bigger yard during the day.

One evening at closing time, a rat was inside the run and by chance didn't get out the door before I shut it and trapped him inside. I put gloves on and thought I might be able to smash it with a brick but.... nope. So I put my pittie in the run with me, who was terrified to even be in the chicken yard because she wasn't allowed, I don't really know what I hoped to accomplish but it was a complete fiasco for about 30 minutes chasing this rat in circles with a flashlight, throwing a brick at it and the dog bouncing around in the dark. I finally stunned it just enough that Daisy had time to pounce on it and eventually licked it to death.

I praised her profusely and let her play with the dead gross thing as her reward, but I didn't want her eating it. So after her excitement wore down a bit I told her to "leave it" and exchanged it for some meaty beef sticks. I discarded the rat in the dog poop garbage can. Now, every time my alarm goes off to close the coop, she's right by my side looking for rats, it's the highlight of her whole day. The only way she's ever been able to catch one is inside the run with the doors closed, only 4 so far, but I'm pretty sure there's no way she could ever catch one outside, they're just too fast and disappear behind the fence where she can't follow. But now there just doesn't seem to be any around lately, maybe they moved away.

If you let your dog come in contact with rats or other wild animals, make sure they're up to date on vaccinations.

No trapping system will get all the rats, and once you've seen them, you have MANY!
Ferrets were bred to hunt and kill rats in Europe; they can get into their tunnels, and still can't eliminate an infestation.
Only poison will do it. Bait stations in places where only rodents can get to them, and changing out the bait type in a week to ten days, until no more bait is eaten. Few rats will likely be found, because they will return to their tunnels and die there.
Carefully done, it's the best option.
Mary

I agree with Mary. I had a severe infestation in a coop. They had built nests. I use the poison bait and the Rat Bait Boxes. I only found a couple of dead rats which I disposed of. I believe like Mary that the rest went into their tunnels and died. I had dozens of rats of all sizes pour out of a coop when I started taking out the ceiling. There were so many rats, I couldn't even begin to count but dozens came out. I used this. The bait that came with the bait box wasn't all that effective so I bought some other bait and it worked like a charm. There is a little window above the bait so the bait can be checked often and replaced as needed. I put the Rat Bait Boxes in my barn in places nothing could get to the bait except the rats and mice. My barn is behind my coops and I had seen some rats in the barn. I tried traps but there was no way I could trap all of them.
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg

I only had a 5 gallon bucket and it didn't work for me, rats could reach the side too easily or jump out.
it will work for you if you put 5 or 6 inches of water or rv antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket. that way the rats or mice can not touch bottom to leap out. they are to busy swimming.

I never caught any rats in a bucket. I put sunflower seed in the water which was about 2/3 full and the seeds floated but eventually sank and started to stink. No rats even though I put a ramp up to make it easy for them.

Back
Top Bottom