Nest box help

DMoody

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
I have 3 girls laying for about a week now. At first they would lay in the nest box perfectly, now they throw all the pine shavings out and lay on the hard wood and for the last three days the eggs are broke on the end. Any suggestions or ideas?

Last week laying with pine shavings.

This week after they throw all the shavings out and this is left.

Please help me.

I'm a newbie with chickens but maybe if you add a lip on the end of the nest box then they can't throw the shavings out as much?

or take a 5 gallon bucket from homedeopt and cut the lid in half, add a couple handfuls of shavings and replace the lid and your done. I haven't added shavings in a year and my leg bars lay almost daily

A bigger "lip" across the front of your boxes will help - you may also want to try hay or straw -- or try putting a nest box "pad" under the bedding you choose for the nest. You can even anchor the pad with some adhesive velcro strip mounted to the bottom of the box and bottom of the padding - that way they can kick out the loose bedding but still leave padding in the nest to protect your eggs.

Wow that was fast, I do have a small lip. Thought if I made it too tall it would make the box opening too small. Thanks for the info.

Hey I ride a road king too. I like your idea do you have a pic of yours?

A bigger "lip" across the front of your boxes will help - you may also want to try hay or straw -- or try putting a nest box "pad" under the bedding you choose for the nest. You can even anchor the pad with some adhesive velcro strip mounted to the bottom of the box and bottom of the padding - that way they can kick out the loose bedding but still leave padding in the nest to protect your eggs.

I am going to try a pad, any substitute ideas until I can get a pad? Hay or Straw is an issue because I have to buy a bale and certainly will not use it all. I will look into it at some of the local farms.

or take a 5 gallon bucket from homedeopt and cut the lid in half, add a couple handfuls of shavings and replace the lid and your done. I haven't added shavings in a year and my leg bars lay almost daily
I realized you may not know what I wanted a pic of - your nest box. LOL

I am going to try a pad, any substitute ideas until I can get a pad? Hay or Straw is an issue because I have to buy a bale and certainly will not use it all. I will look into it at some of the local farms.

If there is a local place that sells the bales you may be able to talk them into letting you pick up and bag some of their loose hay that is left from the bales - that loose hay is a loss to them anyway, so most places will let you take it free of charge and be glad that you are doing some of the clean up for them.

Back
Top Bottom