New at this...

DiamondRFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2018
Okay, so I am new to having chickens on my farm. This is the first time I have had to figure out the sex of a chicken. This is also the first time I have had a Cochin. A back story on this bird.. I purchased it as a bantam (once it grew, it obviously is not bantam but standard) and was told "maybe a roo" (was never actually sexed). So all along I have been looking for signs to say one way or the other. It is approximately 7 months old. I have went back and forth from roo to hen. Currently, it is not very vocal and I have never heard it crow. It pays no mind to our other roo, picks on one hen, other hen picks on it. So nothing really screams hen or roo to me. It's comb is bright and prominate but I have friends that have had hens that way also. Any Cochin experienced people care to offer a guess?
20181213_174446.jpg 20181218_095759.jpg

Cochins are very slow to mature but his saddle feathers will be pointed by now if it is a he. If the feathers are round on the back then it is a hen. My Cochin roosters are usually quiet and do very little crowing. I have one that is over 5 months old and I have never heard him crow.
My guess from 1st impression is male. But the feathers will tell you for sure. ;)

Back
Top Bottom