New baby help

Miss Lydia and Bouncers Mom! I just wanted to update you on our preemie little, it is doing great! We had some touch and go moments but I think we can soon try to place it with its family! I turned the light off and got a new picture for you to see all of its cuteness! Thank you both for all of your help and moral support. I love this little booger!!

Miss Lydia and Bouncers Mom! I just wanted to update you on our preemie little, it is doing great! We had some touch and go moments but I think we can soon try to place it with its family! I turned the light off and got a new picture for you to see all of its cuteness! Thank you both for all of your help and moral support. I love this little booger!!
@scgreenacres Thank you so much for updating what a beautiful duckling look at that face. So happy to hear it is doing so good.

Last edited:
  @scgreenacres
   Thank you so much for updating what a beautiful duckling look at that face. So happy to hear it is doing so good. 

Hi! Well, I hope you don't mind but I need advice from you girls again. The baby, who we named Peep, did not do well with the moms and other babies. Not bc of the moms and others either. They accepted Peep right into the fold but he was sooooo much smaller and I could definitely tell he was weaker than I thot. I brought him back to the house and brot a sibling so it wouldn't be lonely. Then I noticed it couldn't hold its head up so I ran the healthy one back to the barn and googled...I think it has crook neck. I got it some poly vi sol, brewers yeast and molasses...it hardly eats or drinks, and it still has a hard ball on its lower tummy. I hardly ever see it poo poo...it has a strong heart beat and chirps up a storm. What do I need to do? And one other thing Sandy has 10 babies and that's a whole other stressful story.
1f629.png
Thanks for any help. Hope all is well with you.
1f60a.png

Hi! Well, I hope you don't mind but I need advice from you girls again. The baby, who we named Peep, did not do well with the moms and other babies. Not bc of the moms and others either. They accepted Peep right into the fold but he was sooooo much smaller and I could definitely tell he was weaker than I thot. I brought him back to the house and brot a sibling so it wouldn't be lonely. Then I noticed it couldn't hold its head up so I ran the healthy one back to the barn and googled...I think it has crook neck. I got it some poly vi sol, brewers yeast and molasses...it hardly eats or drinks, and it still has a hard ball on its lower tummy. I hardly ever see it poo poo...it has a strong heart beat and chirps up a storm. What do I need to do? And one other thing Sandy has 10 babies and that's a whole other stressful story.
1f629.png
Thanks for any help. Hope all is well with you.
1f60a.png
@scgreenacres Can you take this lil one to the vet? I know it's not always easy to do so. Can you get a pic of the hard place on the belly? maybe an infection has set in when hatched with yolk sac still out this can happen. Can you tell if the lil one has pasty butt that is where poo can get so packed on the vent they can't poo. Have you put it in warm water sometimes that can get them going too. [never leave alone] I know you know all this already. How much poly vi sol are you giving each time? are you giving that directly into the bill. How is Peep doing eating and drinking?

How is Sandy doing with her 10 can she bring them home where they will be safe?

Lets see if we can get someone here that may know more about the umbilical than me.

@WVduckchick

@casportpony

A picture would be helpful. I suspect its just a scab by now, and really not much to do but let it heal. I wouldn't even put anything on it, as it will just cause stuff to stick to it, and may even cause it to fall off before its ready. (if it is just a scab) Once the scab falls off, a little Neosporin is fine. A picture might tell if its something more serious.

@Amiga can hopefully add more guidance too.

@scgreenacres
   Can you take this lil one to the vet? I know it's not always  easy to do so. Can you get a pic of the hard place on the belly? maybe an infection has set in when hatched with yolk sac still out this can happen.  Can you tell if the lil one has pasty butt that is where poo can get so packed on the vent they can't poo. Have you put it in warm water sometimes that can get them going too. [never leave alone] I know you know all this already.  How much poly vi sol are you giving each time? are you giving that directly into the bill. How is Peep  doing eating and drinking?

How is Sandy doing with her 10 can she bring them home where they will be safe? 

Lets see if we can get someone here that may know more about the umbilical than me.

@WVduckchick

@casportpony

Ok....I have put it in some water and that's when I noticed it couldn't hold its head up. The beak was in the water. So I've been scared to try that again .
He did poo in the water it was small amt kinda stringy.
I may have a picture bc I videoed it for hubby.
Here is a picture of his belly and I took a picture of his beak bc it has like hard stuff around it. At first I thot maybe it was good dried on there (I try to make him eat a mash) but when I tried to flake it off it seemed to hurt him. Idk if you can tell anything about it or not.
Oh and also I was giving the pvs in its water but gave it directly to him this morning. I've been afraid of the aspiration thing but I'm feeling desperate now.
Thanks again for your replies! This little Peep has stolen our hearts.
1f49c.png

A picture would be helpful. I suspect its just a scab by now, and really not much to do but let it heal.  I wouldn't even put anything on it, as it will just cause stuff to stick to it, and may even cause it to fall off before its ready.  (if it is just a scab)  Once the scab falls off, a little Neosporin is fine.  A picture might tell if its something more serious.

@Amiga
  can hopefully add more guidance too.
A picture would be helpful. I suspect its just a scab by now, and really not much to do but let it heal.  I wouldn't even put anything on it, as it will just cause stuff to stick to it, and may even cause it to fall off before its ready.  (if it is just a scab)  Once the scab falls off, a little Neosporin is fine.  A picture might tell if its something more serious.

@Amiga
  can hopefully add more guidance too.

Hi! Thanks! I sent a picture. Hopefully you can tell something about it.

@scgreenacres
@WVduckchick
@Miss Lydia

Hi,

Could you go over what is available for the little one to eat? Gets water with food 24/7, right? I might consider checking with @casportpony about possible tube feeding - want to be very careful with the little one. If there is a digestive issue, don't want to put too much in the way of solids in, but the baby needs nutrition - lots of it.

If a vet is an option, I would get that kind of help (ducklings can often recover from big troubles, so stay positive and don't give up too early).

B vitamins will help. Please read the link Miss Lydia sent you about Bentley - very important information in there.

Chickens really makes a good point. Time in water that is brooder temperature, no soap, just try to soften anything that looks like it is interfering with the ability to poop. Sometimes it is tricky to balance not wanting to soften a scab that is not done with its job versus removing an external blockage. You are the one who is there and can see what is happening.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom